2.2 or 2.5?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by jmkimmel, Feb 24, 2004.

1. jmkimmel

jmkimmel Active Member

I know this must have come up in old topics, but I couldn't find it - anyway, 24.1 on the rear of PX, used for urban trials (with modified rockshox duke for 40mm). Is the 2.5 overkill or just nice and big? The weight diff. is pretty minimal, what do y'all think?
    Thanks
    PS
    Right now riding bald el gato....

2. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I can't imagine needing more tire than the 2.2 to be honest. If you want more air volume to make sure you aren't bottoming out on things, check out the 2.5. You'll probably be happy with whatever you choose.

Bill

3. pav

pav New Member

hows about 2.3 people

hutchison octopus namely
    tread pattern is much same as michelin comp 16
    its very grippy and very pinch resistant too!
    and cheaper than must michelins!
    damn nice tire!

pav

4. themonggoose

themonggoose Guest

You'll notice the extra weight, which is about 1/2 lb and the extra grip. It depends on which you care about the most.

5. Elan

Elan steve french

aye, if your rough as 50-grit, like me, the 2.5 is nice. for smoother riders, the 2.2 does Grrreat i guess. i am looking forward to the weight loss when i become smooth... until then, i havent pinched my rear since ive had my michelin...thats about 5 months running 12 psi.

6. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I never noticed any difference between michelin 2.2 and 2.5 ... I just stuck with the 2.2.

7. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

I've run a michelin 2,2 at the rear for 3-4 months now. Never pinched. I run low pressure(My pump doesn't have a manometer). And I am as far from smooth as you get. I acutally ripped out two spokes on a pedal-up gone bad.

8. bigd

bigd Guest

i have the 2.2 and love it, it does the job so well why would you go with something bigger and heavier?

9. Elan

Elan steve french

ah, i have never ridden a 2.2 for any length of time, i got my 2.5 for $20, so i wasnt really caring what, as long as it was a michelin.

10. stocktrials

stocktrials Mitch.

I have had the 2.2 for a few weeks now (coming from Tioga Factory DH 2.3) and I can honestly tell you the difference is huge! Although its a bit thinner (by some ridiculously minute amount) its heaps better.. grips really well and I couldn't ask for more, I run about 22psi. I *may* try a 2.5 next time but its pretty heavy.. like some ppl have already said, 2.2 should be enough.

11. bigd

bigd Guest

lol tioga

who the fack started that trend

yeah lets all use a tire that has paper sidewalls!

12. AndyT

AndyT New Member

JJ greg....+ tim at trialsin = your trend. Fuck i remember in mo show 2003 jj was still running one :ugh:

13. Elan

Elan steve french

AHAHAHAHA...

14. trialspads

trialspads TrialsPads.com

I remember that...it was Tioga ads on every damn bike magazine back then. Isn't it the same time when Onza was advertised heavily too?

15. stocktrials

stocktrials Mitch.

I dunno about the paper thin sidewalls.. I ran one for about 14 months with 1 pinch flat and that was because I ran a lower psi than normal on a gap to front wheel (back tyre hit the edge). But Michelin 2.2 is better nevertheless

16. Elan

Elan steve french

i know about paper thin walls... maybe you didnt ride much natural, but when i first started riding a lot of natty i was on my tioga, then got a michelin like 2 months later...OMGZZ!!!

17. stocktrials

stocktrials Mitch.

Sorry yeah, I ride mostly natural and Tioga was ok except on like slanted rocks where you are on them at a 90 deg angle or so.. foldage. Forgot to mention that. Michelin rocks (excuse the pun)