1st Pinchflat.....

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by oicdn, May 6, 2004.

1. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Well, I dunno if it were from the low PSI or the tube just being old(1st time since I started about 3-4 months ago), but I pinchflatted on a ledge that's not too sharp, and I've hit the ledge HARDER at times and not pinchflatted....

Yeah kinda a useless post, but anybody ever try to use like a DH or thorn tube with the Michelin 24.1 2.5? Does it make a difference in terms of rebound? a Thorn tube, is the rubber just thicker on the face, or is it slightly thicker everywhere? Like I had an Intense tube in an Intense EX909 and the rebound was INSANE....coulda been mostly from that 4-ply, but I NEVER flatted, and I hit stuff HARDER on my .243.....

So is it just a waste or should I just keep buying shit tubes? BTW, psi was at around 13 on a DX32 w/Mich comp 24.1 2.5.....I'm a 145-155 rider, pretty smooth I guess....for the limited skills I have, LOL!

Anybody?

2. Zyzzyx

Zyzzyx Guest

More pressure and/or ride smoother.

I've put dents in my DX32 running a 2.5 Michelin at 14psi. No pinchflats though. With a generic tube.

3. oicdn

oicdn Guest

yeah, I don't neccessarily prefer 13 psi, it was just really squishy, and I didn't have a pump around, so I rode anyhow. I really prefer around 18-22....

4. B1105

B1105 New Member

Just keep using normal tubes, and if you can, get a 1" tube, their lighter since your already running a low PSI. I also just had my first pinch flat after 3 months of riding, but it was because i was too lazy to use my pump.

5. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

i think lots of pinch flats occur a little bit randomly. ie-i' run such low tyre pressure that when doing small gaps, even ups, i get real close, if not actually tapping my rim. there have also been one or two times that i smack my rim because i mess up, darf.
    the only pinch flat that i got running my try all tyres, was one of the times that my rim just barely hit the ledge on a small gap. just goes to show these things aren't real consistent. i guess it has to do with weight distrubution and the way your tube is positioned, as well as tyre sidewalls and height of rim.
    i dono, maybe im just being stupid and not really getting at anything here.

6. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

when i hop on anything less than 3 inches, my rim taps on the object nearly every time. that is being light and smooth as well.

its funny, when i gap/up/drop to something the same thickness the rim doesn't hit any harder, if at all.

7. Elan

Elan steve french

i ride a mich como 24.1 2.5 with an intense DH tube..i have never pich flatted...andrew and others i know use mich 2.2 with generic tubes, i have never seen or heard of them pinchflatting...i am switching soon because my bike weighs more than it should weigh.

8. Elan

Elan steve french

oh yea, i run 12-15 psi

9. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

just use a normal tube, 1" tubes have to stretche so much to fill a big rear tire that they get funky bulges and distortions. when this happens you can't tie them off and use a single tube to make like 30 condoms.

hows that for a useless post?

10. RobbieP

RobbieP OTN FOR A THOUSAND MORE YEARS I SAY

dude, it's a flat. just change it and ride smoother... whats the big deal

11. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

once i rode with a dude who knew a guy who pinchflatted. how fucken cool is that?

12. MegamoMidwest

MegamoMidwest chicago crew

no way dude, only god can pinchflat a generic tube. unearthly power I say.

13. ty

ty Guest

i got like 4 pinch flats in the last 2 weeks. I run a hansventure with about 20ish psi. Im not overly smooth but i dont really do large moves either. back in the day with my mod i got, 1-2 pinch flats over 2 yrs. so i think it has something to do with my shitty tire. the moral of this post was; dont use the hansventure.

14. DMArnt

DMArnt Guest

Dude thats coooool. :cool:

15. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

16. oicdn

oicdn Guest

That is SOOOOO awesome.....

17. AndyT

AndyT New Member

[​IMG]

18. KeepRollin

KeepRollin New Member

I run a higher pressure than most do and I still got pinch flats with generic tubes (I have a fairly narrow rim). I now have a slightly thicker tube, 1.2 mm thick I believe (I got it for just $4) and I havent' had a problem. I also haven't been nailing sharp edges as often. Sooooo who knows.

Tubes get beaten around and all of them will crap out eventually. I've had a tube just blow when I was riding around cause I had pinched it but not enough for it to blow just then. It was really pretty freaky. If you went for 3-4 months you're doing pretty well in my opinion. Tubes are cheap, if you can get a thicker one for cheap like I did go for it, otherwise stick with the generic and watch those edges.

19. valiumlaw

valiumlaw Guest

I got my first puncture after a years worth of riding from a WTB lightweight Butyll inner tube on my rear El Gato. I found a 5mm split on the rim side of the tube. I dont think it was because your tube was 3-4months old OICDN. I was running a medium PSI. I only use a handpump though, so its medium PSI based on my feeling of the tyre.