Observed Trials Bike Forum > Observed Bike Trials Forum > Your Bike Trials Media > Video...stuff you shouldn't do thread.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2007, 09:49 AM   #1
philth
OTN_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Video...stuff you shouldn't do thread.

I'm on a bt of a rant this morning. I not being an ass for the sake of being the internet asshole, but I just watch a few vid's of a certain other forum TF....I'm getting bored.

Figure its time to make a list of do not's.....unless you like producing dull videos, or like to be slated.

EDIT >>>Better explained>> I am planing on making a vid, I am no video editor, and have alot to learn...I have been watchin alot of the better riders of the TF and here to get some inspiration and some ideas. This is where my want to start this thread came up. For the level of riders and their riding in the videos some of the videos did them no justice....I don't want to fall into this when I edit up my own. So instead of the recomendations and Do's, I figure with editing like my riding style I want to explore and play, but would like to know what not to do. I dont want to get caught up in the idea of the video and have some nasty video trate sneak in dull it up.

• Don't post a 2+minitue video of three moves, repeated, repeated repeated, repeated. How many vids I see where all it is, side hope, bump up, and wheel switch...if your lucky the odd drop gap. I don't care how many different same size walls you can do these moves on.
  • On the side hop thing, if you can't stick it, it doesn't count. getting both wheels on top of a wall for a split second before gravity takes over and off you come....this only counts as a bail.
  • Linkin Park?? just released a new album, bollocks you know what that means, hmmm no more in trials videos thank you. If trials video were in the dictionary there would be apicture of Linkin park next to it.
  • If a move is big its big...its obvious. Don't find the shortest person in the group and have then squat next to it...your not Pen and Teller, its not magically going to get any bigger.

measuring tapes...hmmmm...no
sweeet

If you have anything to add...

Last edited by philth; 06-18-2007 at 08:02 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2007, 10:23 AM   #2
trialspads
TrialsPads.com
OTN_SUPPORTER.png

New Hampshire
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I'm not usually picky but it does get annoying when the video fades before the rider finishes particular section or a move. And the constant flashing effects.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:42 AM   #3
Laimis
Go BIG or go home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by philth View Post
  • Don't find the shortest person in the group and have then squat next to it...

Old 06-18-2007, 10:49 AM   #4
WhiteRavenKS
OTN_SUPPORTER.png

Boulder
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

agreed-no more linkin park. if you're going to put some music over your vid, dont be a lazy shit about it.

-stop using the zoom transitions. that's a shit way to make an edit. i'd rather see a star wipe than the zoom transition.

-stop bitching about fisheye. if it looks big and it's... kenny or something- it looks big because it is big. bigger than the chumps like us who sit on computers instead of riding will ever go. if you use it, fine. if you watch, deal with it instead of crying tears from your panties.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:27 PM   #5
KMT

Mr. philth!
Can we see a video you made?

About the sidehop thing... okay, it doesn't count, but it doesn't have anything to do with the video.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:04 PM   #6
WhiteRavenKS
OTN_SUPPORTER.png

Boulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
Mr. philth!

About the sidehop thing... okay, it doesn't count, but it doesn't have anything to do with the video.
wtf? if it's a clip in the video then it has everything to do with the video.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:09 PM   #7
KMT

Okay, my english is shit.
But...
why is it a problem if someone puts a clip of a sidehop which he can't stick into a vid?

Btw, I agree with the first and third point, but the second one makes no sense.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:20 PM   #8
WhiteRavenKS
OTN_SUPPORTER.png

Boulder

it's not a crash and you didnt make it. that's whack. you never see half assed almost super cool shit in skate vids... or any kind of good vids for that matter. close doesnt count, it's either super dope or you beefed it. all that in between crap should go in the trash can.

ps- your english is fine.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:22 PM   #9
WhiteRavenKS
OTN_SUPPORTER.png

Boulder

another new rule:
-no comic sans for your titles. unless you're going for "dont take this video seriously"... along similar lines, no sand font either.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:46 PM   #10
philth
OTN_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
Mr. philth!
First off let me clear up, I'm not ripping on anyone. Purely puting forward the point that if your going to produce a video, what to avoid to have the video appreciated the way you intended it to.

There are alot of very good riders out there, there also is alot of very good videos...but there too are good rider in bad videos, not what you really want to show case if your the rider.

As for me, my video...other than DVD apperience 2months out of surgery, I have yet to produce one.
I am about to start filming, more of a personal come back video.

Last edited by philth; 06-18-2007 at 06:16 PM.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:19 PM   #11
music_maj_34
OTN_SUPPORTER.png

Laconia New Hampshire

Points taken, but also take in to consideration some of us that know nothing about video editing (I'm learning as I go) also many of us can only do a few choice moves. I mainly make videos to watch my progress.

I do agree that watching the same moves over and over gets old real quick... at least choose different locations.

One last thing - my opinion... but Slower/ mellow music always draws me in more for natural riding and harder or faster music for urban.

Check out my sponsors! http://www.sixsixone.com/
http://www.evomo.com/ http://www.sun-ringle.com/
http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/

Old 06-18-2007, 07:47 PM   #12
philth
OTN_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_maj_34 View Post
Points taken, but also take in to consideration some of us that know nothing about video editing (I'm learning as I go) also many of us can only do a few choice moves. I mainly make videos to watch my progress.

I do agree that watching the same moves over and over gets old real quick... at least choose different locations.

One last thing - my opinion... but Slower/ mellow music always draws me in more for natural riding and harder or faster music for urban.
I am no video editor, and have alot to learn...I have been watchin alot of the better riders of the TF and here to get some inspiration and some ideas. This is where my want to start this thread came up. For the level of riders and their riding in the videos the video its self did them no justice....I don't want to fall into this when I edit up my own. So instead of the recomendations and Do's, I figure with editing like my riding style I want to explore and play but would like ot know what not to do. I dont want to get caught up in the idea of the video and have some nasty video trate sneak in dull it up.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:55 PM   #13
AgrAde
From your head to your fists
OTN_SUPPORTER.png

Bikes

Christchurch
Liked 199 Times on 152 Posts

i agree with everthing in the original post, i can't watch those types of videos for more than 20 seconds.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:25 PM   #14
smudge
Central Scrrrrrrrutinizer
OTN_SUPPORTER.png

Portland Oregon
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRavenKS View Post
another new rule:
-no comic sans for the rest of humanity.
fixed

Old 06-18-2007, 10:59 PM   #15
WhiteRavenKS
OTN_SUPPORTER.png

Boulder

true that smudge, i just figured i would narrow it down for the thread.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:13 PM   #16
flixlee
flixlee
OTN_SUPPORTER.png

Don't zoom in if your camera is just handheld! The shaking makes me vomit. Use a tripod with a video head whenever possible. Exceptions are comps when you don't have free access around the section. But anything else, there's no excuse!

Old 06-19-2007, 03:35 AM   #17
isah

Sometimes i like this artsy kind of shaking i prefer it to the same camera position all video long.... other stuff is true i guess.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:53 PM   #18
Biketrialbrasil
Echo dealer in Brazil

the most of all vids it´s the same thing.
sidehop/drop gap/wheel sweap/hook ups...

I love the Ali-C,TRA and others creatives riders...

Old 06-19-2007, 01:54 PM   #19
AndyT
OTN_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 501 Times on 403 Posts
Likes Given: 1

just tell a story or try to capture the feelings you had while riding/filming in the editing..that is all you need to do. Make the viewer feel like they are there and are engaged in the movie.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:09 PM   #20
denib
No blood no band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
just tell a story or try to capture the feelings you had while riding/filming in the editing..that is all you need to do. Make the viewer feel like they are there and are engaged in the movie.

Go Back   Observed Trials Bike Forum > Observed Bike Trials Forum > Your Bike Trials Media

Quick Reply