Observed Trials Bike Forum > Observed Bike Trials Forum > Observed Trials Discussion > those running vees with wide rims

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2005, 11:58 AM   #1
durkie

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

those running vees with wide rims

how much brake adjustment are you left with? does it seem at all likely that there's any production frame out there (with or without bonz v-brake adaptors) that would be able to run a pad that's almost 20mm thick with a try-all xxl (or even a dx-32)?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2005, 12:09 PM   #2
JK
OTN_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Probably not, unless you go custom. DX-32 works much better with v's. You'll still have to grind down the pad though. Lose the inner brake pad spacers and grind the pad so it's flat against the rim.

Old 07-13-2005, 01:27 PM   #3
werkinit
werkinit
OTN_SUPPORTER.png

State of denial
Liked 127 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 1

say no to parrallellllll push.

We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Old 07-13-2005, 02:14 PM   #4
WhiteRavenKS
OTN_SUPPORTER.png

Boulder
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

who the hell is running pads that are 20mm thick!? i'd like to know, they would last ages!

production frames are stuck in this dumb shit rut of maggies=trials. it's expensive to make options available so most companies dont do it. the bonz adaptors so far have treated me very well. im running them with a try-all rim and spanish fly pads. if i wanted to run something with a taller profile backing like the plaz pads i could do so still because i have my bonz in the middle adjustment spot. i could move to the wider spot and have plenty of clearence for a taller pad with that wide rim still.

Old 07-13-2005, 03:18 PM   #5
Patrick
OTN_SUPPORTER.png

Bikes

Dallas
Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 34

thanks for the good info Kevin. time to order some up.

Old 07-14-2005, 12:26 AM   #6
icecreamsammy

yeh, im running spanish fly's on an avid ultimate caliper with a tryall rim, all on a coustellier with adapters i made at work, plenty of adjustment.

Old 07-14-2005, 12:47 AM   #7
hello?
Banned

ive got ultimates on my bt 5 with a dx 32. there fairly wide apart but they feel fine and have quite a bit of adjustment. i definetly have to agree though and say taht its stupid taht most frames out there have magura mounts and barely any are putting on v brake mounts. props to BT for putting on v brake mounts.

Old 07-14-2005, 02:21 AM   #8
Peace
pedocrab

Snedyy Straya
Liked 85 Times on 85 Posts

Ive got a Zoo pitbull with the bonz vee adaptors, ultimate callipers, tryall xxl rim (47mm wide) and plaz CRV pads.

With spacers they run retardedly wide on the middle hole of the adaptors (cant run the outside hole cos then my shimano carbon booster wouldnt fit)

So what i did was run the pads without spacers between the pad and calliper arm, i had to do a bit of bodging to get the pads to hit flat (cut a washer in half and glued it to one side of either pad) But now my calliper arms arent protruding and hitting my shoes and my pads hit perfectly flat! Running pads without adjustment spacers is where its at.... so solid!

Also my brakes are soooo nice and quiet

Peace

Old 07-17-2005, 09:42 PM   #9
jmkimmel

To either peace or kevin - how far apart are your canti posts? I'm thinking about getting a tryall rim next, but want to make sure that the v's on my bt will work. They're fine with a dx32, but I'm worried about clearing the bigger rim.

Old 07-17-2005, 10:43 PM   #10
WhiteRavenKS
OTN_SUPPORTER.png

Boulder
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

i cant tell exactly but it looks like mine are coming out to about 93mm apart. they could go wider though since like i said, im in the middle setting of my bonz. and i think they would have to go wider to clear a larger pad than the spanish flies. they would probably go out to something like 100mm, which is usually what the magura spacing is on a frame these days.

Old 07-18-2005, 12:49 AM   #11
jmkimmel

ill. Mine are 90mm. I'm using spanish flies, so it looks like I'm in business. Thanks kevin -

Old 07-18-2005, 01:18 AM   #12
Peace
pedocrab

Snedyy Straya
Liked 85 Times on 85 Posts

yeah as long as you take out the inside spacers, your callipers wont be anywhere near hitting your ankles.... Im runnin CRV pads and they are still mostly behind the booster.

Peace

Go Back   Observed Trials Bike Forum > Observed Bike Trials Forum > Observed Trials Discussion

Quick Reply