You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of ObservedTrials.net    
Observed Trials Bike Forum > Observed Bike Trials Forum > Observed Trials Discussion >

24'?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2017, 09:53 PM   #1
fjolfrey

Likes Given: 20

24'?

So I'm 90% sure I want a 24' trials bike, and I know there are Danny Mac bikes for over 1k, but does anyone suggest other 24' street trials bike? Please leave a link if possible. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 07:07 AM   #2
wvtrials

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm new to street trials only ridden for about a month, I'm more into pure,

but the bike I have is a because color 24 got it used super cheap. Only thing I have to complain about is it has a little longer wheel base, and I wanted a lower bb hight.

But like I said I'm horrible at street trials so probably better off to see what better riders have say

Old 03-20-2017, 11:51 AM   #3
fjolfrey

Likes Given: 20

What is the difference between street and pure trials?

Old 03-20-2017, 12:01 PM   #4
aaccjosh

NM
Liked 99 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 66

street= for looks, lots of spins, showey Danny Mac riding.
pure= get through the section clean (or as close as possible) usually not smooth, lots of correction hops (as necessary) and we don't much spin because why turn around twice to go forward?
the bikes reflect this- street bikes are shorter with lower bb and high handlebars (good for spins and bunny hops) pure or comp bikes are long with high bb, upside down handlebars, and usually no seat (easier to ride on the rear tire, good for sidehops and pedal kicks)

Old 03-20-2017, 01:01 PM   #5
Mark W
cleanzine.co.uk

Bristol, UK
Liked 358 Times on 286 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaccjosh View Post
street= for looks, lots of spins, showey Danny Mac riding.
That's not always the case. I'm sure this is just some OTN trolling type stuff, but yeah, there's a lot more to it than that. I only ride street these days, and I've never done a single tailwhip drop and have no intention of ever doing so. I came to it from riding 'proper' trials bikes, but I just found that with the way BBs were getting higher, stems were getting longer and longer and bikes were feeling increasingly awkward to ride it just didn't feel nice to me any more. They're good for strictly functional riding, but I like to ride around on my bike and go from spot to spot, and basically comp-style bikes these days are fucking awful to actually ride. I had a Sky while I had my Inspired and although doing mega tech stuff on rocks was fun, it wasn't really "riding" to me so I ended up going out on it less and less. Going out exploring for new spots on it was balls, and the whole feeling of going out and riding around a town or city or wherever and finding new stuff to play on is a big part of what I like about riding.

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in there as there's a lot more available to people riding wise rather than "Go footjam whip off that wall" or "Put some compression tights on and backhop around looking like you've never touched a bike before".
THEDEMOLITIONMAN Likes This 
Old 03-20-2017, 02:20 PM   #6
aaccjosh

NM

maybe ya didn't catch this part about pure trials...
Quote:
not smooth, lots of correction hops
I mean no ill will toward street trials. if it's not for competition it's for show yes?
I'm sorry for even trying

Old 03-20-2017, 02:39 PM   #7
aaccjosh

NM

Last edited by aaccjosh; 03-20-2017 at 02:48 PM.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:56 PM   #8
Mark W
cleanzine.co.uk

Bristol, UK
Liked 358 Times on 286 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
if it's not for competition it's for show yes?
That's what I was getting at really - it's not for show, it's for me. I hate riding in front of people and usually wait until no-one's around, and always try and find spots where there aren't likely to be that many passers-by. There's a reason I'm usually behind the camera rather than in front of it

Sorry if it came off a bit OTT though, just been hearing a bunch of comp-orientated people in the UK chat shit about street in a completely mis-guided way and I've been wanting to say something about it for a bit. Not saying you're one of those people at all, just that that's the back story to me being a whiny bitch It's cool you're doing your bit to help out before this thread goes down the typical OTN rabbit hole

EDIT: While I'm on the soap box, the whole "if it's not a comp..." thing was also true for the 8-9 years where I only rode little seatless bikes with tiny wheels. Again, going back to the comp-orientated people chat thing, was speaking to someone from the comp scene here in the UK last week and they were pitching trials as being 'comp' or 'street trials', but that's a really polarised way of looking at it. Comp and Street trials are at each end of the spectrum, and in the middle there's where almost everyone is - they just happen to own trials bikes, and go and ride them at fun places. Street is small compared to the 'normal' trials market, as is the comp scene.
People Like This 
Old 03-20-2017, 03:39 PM   #9
aaccjosh

NM

yes! I was looking more at end results, but certainly you're right that most people ride for the sake of the ride.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:49 PM   #10
Gareth

Bikes

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
That's what I was getting at really - it's not for show, it's for me. I hate riding in front of people and usually wait until no-one's around, and always try and find spots where there aren't likely to be that many passers-by. There's a reason I'm usually behind the camera rather than in front of it

Sorry if it came off a bit OTT though, just been hearing a bunch of comp-orientated people in the UK chat shit about street in a completely mis-guided way and I've been wanting to say something about it for a bit. Not saying you're one of those people at all, just that that's the back story to me being a whiny bitch It's cool you're doing your bit to help out before this thread goes down the typical OTN rabbit hole

EDIT: While I'm on the soap box, the whole "if it's not a comp..." thing was also true for the 8-9 years where I only rode little seatless bikes with tiny wheels. Again, going back to the comp-orientated people chat thing, was speaking to someone from the comp scene here in the UK last week and they were pitching trials as being 'comp' or 'street trials', but that's a really polarised way of looking at it. Comp and Street trials are at each end of the spectrum, and in the middle there's where almost everyone is - they just happen to own trials bikes, and go and ride them at fun places. Street is small compared to the 'normal' trials market, as is the comp scene.
Youre right about the whole 'normal trials' thing. There are very few just comp riders and very few just street riders and as time passes comp and street riding types get further and further apart. The majority of people who ride trials are somewhere in the middle doing, as Mark put it, 'normal trials' rather than street or comp specifically. It really doesn't matter what bike your using or what style you ride (street or comp or inbetween) you're still doing trials.
Buy a trials bike and have fun.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:59 PM   #11
THEDEMOLITIONMAN
There can only be one DMAN
OTN_SUPPORTER.png

BOSTON MA
Liked 126 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 306

I was born and raised on an island, which is nearly all natural.Ever since I moved off the island to Boston for college, I fell in love with Urban.I mainly ride urban/street trials and love every bit of it, I definitely don't ride for show..I ride for me.

I really don't define myself as an urban rider,street rider, or a comp rider.I just love to ride my bikes and I find that urban works out the best for me.I do admit, that riding natural makes me a better rider.For me, it's all about what feels good when I ride.

I usually tell people to take it slow and try not to follow the trends.See what works for you and go for it, I take shit all the time for mainly riding a mod bike..being 6'3"/240lbs, it looks a bit weird to most people.I've never followed the crowd and I ride what I love..

If a 24"'s what you want to get, then drop the hammer on it and do it up.

thedman

Old 03-20-2017, 11:02 PM   #12
AndyT
OTN_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 877 Times on 711 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I did a 360 drop in nationals for no reason other than it felt good to me, the Tetris piece meant to be turned that many times and dropped into place... It helped me compete.

I like what today's comp bikes do on big ass shit. Not so into them being bicycles, they function on one extreme side of bike handling that doesn't use two wheels. I would call that "unicycling".

Some people like to Unicycle.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:00 AM   #13
jnthebiker
Always Riding

Pittsfield MA
Liked 94 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
I did a 360 drop in nationals for no reason other than it felt good to me... It helped me compete.

That was one of the best things I've ever seen... might still have a video of it haha

Go Back   Observed Trials Bike Forum > Observed Bike Trials Forum > Observed Trials Discussion

Quick Reply