You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of ObservedTrials.net    
Observed Trials Bike Forum > Observed Bike Trials Forum > Beginner's Area >

Help with a new street trials bike

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2017, 01:55 PM   #1
Pike14

Help with a new street trials bike

Hi all!

I'm new to trails riding and am looking to get a dedicated street trials bike. I have a little bmx background as well as an extensive mountain bike and dirt jumping background. I put a front brake on my dirt jumper and have learned some basic trials moves (trackstand, rear wheel hop, etc.), but I really want a dedicated street trials bike.

I've narrowed it down to either an Inspired Fourplay Pro or a Czar Ion Pro. Both bikes look nice and have (what I think are) decent builds. My main need for help is to know whether it's worth the extra $500 for the Inspired, or will I be fine going with the Czar. I've heard more about and seen more riders on Inspired bikes, but I honestly don't know enough about the bikes to make an educated decision. Any help and/or personal experiences you've had on these bikes would be really appreciated (quality of parts, durability, etc.) I'm about 6'1" and weigh about 200lbs. Thanks!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2017, 04:00 PM   #2
Swoofty

Santa Monica CA
Liked 77 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ok, here we go. I've had 3 Echo czars and I now ride an Ozonys Iron, Inspired Arcade and an Alias 20.1. If you really appreciate your BMX background, you won't be blown away by the Fourplay or the Czar. It took me a while to realize it, but the Czars and Fourplays fall a little short of their steel cousins. It all boils down to two major reason - steel and headangle. It might not seem like much but it's huge on the bike. My Czars were POUNDS lighter than my Arcade, but the Arcade FEELS lighter by far. As you advance in your front end moves you'll quickly discover why 74.5 beats 73 in headangle. Again it doesn't sound like much, but it's easy to feel when they are side by side. I would recommend that you look into an Inspired Arcade, Ozonys Smith, or a Marino copy of either one if you're ok with that route. I've seen quite a few excellent Marino Arcades lately. If you really really want an aluminum bike, get Danny's Skye. It's the only alu with the right numbers, but for the price you could buy two of most other bikes.

Difficult to find, but probably the best - http://trial-world.com/en/24-trial-bikes/926-ozonys-smith-v2-24.html

Good luck!

Old 05-15-2017, 05:07 PM   #3
Pike14

Wow! Thank you so much for all the info. Really appreciate the thoughts of someone that has experience! For the Marino? What kind of company is that? I have met come across them on the internet. Also, where are the best places to purchase this other companies bikes (other than inspired and Czar)? I know I can google them, but just want to know the most reliable retailers.

I have actually looked at the Arcade quite a bit. I can't find anywhere with availability until July I believe, but maybe that's best so I can get as much info as possible.

Thanks again SO much!

Old 05-15-2017, 07:12 PM   #4
Swoofty

Santa Monica CA
Liked 77 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Marino is a custom bike welder in Peru. marinobike.com He offers a significant savings on a steel frame, but it's only a frame (and fork if you want) not a complete bike so you'll have to be comfortable building your own bike. No idea what his lead time is either so it may not be a fast option either.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my Czars; my last one (2016) was an incredible bike, but I got them straight from China for $800 complete or less so it was an easy decision. The new Neuron and Ion Czars are $1500 or so and that changes the equation.

Also, the 15mm thru axle on the Arcade and the Ozonys Iron is a definite improvement over the Fourplay and older Czars, however, the new Czar (Ion at least) has a tapered fork AND a 15mm thru axle so that probably feels even better. The new Czars do look pretty impressive. I'm looking into getting one of the non tapered 15mm thru axle Czar forks because they are the ONLY alu forks with 15mm axle that are not built for suspension offsets. I'd love to try one of the new czars, but chances are I'll never see one.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:00 PM   #5
Pike14

Cool! I'll have a look at the Marino website. I'm comfortable building one up from the frame, but I think I'd rather get a complete bike until I get more comfortable with what I'll be looking for. Since I have so little experience I feel like I'd go nuts trying to figure out what I'd want to build it up with. Still, it may be a good option in the future.

The thru axle was something I noticed when looking at the Smith. Bummer it doesn't have one but still looks like a sweet bike. I had actually considered an Arcade at the beginning of my search, but was put off a little by the wait time for it to be available. Now though it seems like that might be a smart idea. Patience has never been a strong point for me!

Thanks again for all the info, I'm sure I'll have more questions but you really gave me a great place to start!

Old 05-18-2017, 11:52 PM   #6
spikenet

interesting info, thanks for the topic. Over here in australia the only bike I can find available for purchase right now is the czar neuron $1700 AU (cable disc brakes). The inspired importer has nothing. Very little available 2nd hand apart from some inspired skye bikes which are probably awesome but not what I'd like as a beginner bike that is going to hit the ground alot!

Go Back   Observed Trials Bike Forum > Observed Bike Trials Forum > Beginner's Area

Quick Reply