You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of ObservedTrials.net    
Observed Trials Bike Forum > Observed Bike Trials Forum > Beginner's Area >

Brake lever position?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 09:01 PM   #21
handiman
OTN_SUPPORTER.png

Portland Oregon
Liked 42 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 2

not too far from there. lincolnwood, to be exact, but close to the border. pretty much live spitting distance from lincoln and kimball.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2011, 10:01 PM   #22
Garthe
Lower than a noob
OTN_SUPPORTER.png

Phoenix AZ
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Started life at Lunt & Ravenswood, then Touhy & Clark, then Foster & Clark, then Addison & Cicero, then Montrose & Mobile...then Phoenix, AZ .

sorry for the hijack...

Old 06-13-2011, 10:49 PM   #23
handiman
OTN_SUPPORTER.png

Portland Oregon
Liked 42 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i know where all those places are, nice areas. i think i'll be in Scottsdale, AZ at the end of july, don't think i'll be bringing my bike unless there's a complete need to.

and i guess i'll contribute something here.... brakes are usually angles pretty far down, as mentioned. try it and play with it. when i got mine, it was too high and i was getting wrist problems, and after angling it down, all was well. it also depends on if you're doing more 1-wheel or 2-wheel stuff, BB height, and stem.basically the angle of your arms in you 'normal' position in comparison to the bike.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:57 PM   #24
stocktrials
Mitch.
OTN_SUPPORTER.png

Bikes

Sydney, Australia
Liked 104 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I think brake levers at about 40-45 is a good starting point. Most beginners run the levers fairly downwards to make it easier to hold the bars when on the rear wheel.

Then progresses more towards the that angle as more 2 wheels stuff is ridden and you feel more comfortable on the back wheel.

I also think the increase in BB rise means that your brake levers don't have to be as angled down (as in the days of old!)

Personally I run mine about 20-30 with the front one slightly lower.
You'll see riders like Kenny Belaey angling his levers only about 10 so it does all come down to preference!

Old 02-22-2017, 01:04 PM   #25
Scoox

Wuxi Jiangsu
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I thought I'd bump this one, here's something cool you folks can try

I usually have my brake levers more down than up, so they feel nicer when on the rear wheel. The problem is that, when flat or on the front wheel a brake lever that's too low feels very awkward, and that translates to reduced front braking power.

Yesterday I bailed out to prevent a crash and sent my bike flying. The front brake lever got knocked upwards by about 10 degrees. I didn't notice at first and continued riding, then I noticed something was nicer. It turns out that having the front brake lever a bit higher than the rear brake lever works rather well! I figured it's because "lower" is good when on the rear wheel, while "higher" is good when on the front wheel or flat. But then I don't really use the front brake while on the rear wheel, so the asymmetry makes a lot of sense IMO. It does look a bit whacko but it has a positive effect on my riding. Has anybody tried this?

Old 02-22-2017, 08:34 PM   #26
Gareth

Bikes

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts

I could never handle that
They gotta be even haha

Old 02-22-2017, 09:28 PM   #27
Scoox

Wuxi Jiangsu
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
I could never handle that
They gotta be even haha
Yes I admit during the first few minutes after I decided to go with it my OCD was spiking quite a lot. Even my gf commented "your levers ain't even". There should be mm markings on the bars to at least be able to prove to people that it's science and not carelessness. It's funny how putting numbers to anything instantly makes it seem legit. Still, I suggest you try it, it's free.

Last edited by Scoox; 02-23-2017 at 12:56 AM.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:39 PM   #28
Gareth

Bikes

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts

Haha I just might one day

Old 02-23-2017, 09:51 AM   #29
cwtrials

Durham North Carolina
Liked 202 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
I thought I'd bump this one, here's something cool you folks can try

I usually have my brake levers more down than up, so they feel nicer when on the rear wheel. The problem is that, when flat or on the front wheel a brake lever that's too low feels very awkward, and that translates to reduced front braking power.

Yesterday I bailed out to prevent a crash and sent my bike flying. The front brake lever got knocked upwards by about 10 degrees. I didn't notice at first and continued riding, then I noticed something was nicer. It turns out that having the front brake lever a bit higher than the rear brake lever works rather well! I figured it's because "lower" is good when on the rear wheel, while "higher" is good when on the front wheel or flat. But then I don't really use the front brake while on the rear wheel, so the asymmetry makes a lot of sense IMO. It does look a bit whacko but it has a positive effect on my riding. Has anybody tried this?
Pretty sure like 10 years ago a bunch of the frenchies and UCI elites were doing something like that.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:23 AM   #30
AndyT
OTN_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 877 Times on 711 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I remember it was a thing... the front angled so it was easy to grab on a sever downhill, and he back angled so it was easy to grab on the rear wheel.

Don't thing it stuck, fun to play with though to try and figure out your own personal feeling.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:26 PM   #31
OTN_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Yes I do, for a few reasons. First, I grew up on dirt bikes and also had a trials motorcycle when I was a teenager. So the front brake being on the right side feels natural. I am also left handed and have played the bass for many years so my left hand is much stronger for the rear brake. And I was a Mormon missionary for two years in Australia where I rode a bike everywhere and the bikes down under already have the brakes setup like that so I got used to it there.
Quick question for you Yoda, I was out on my bike today, switched over to the Sherco, then back to my bike. I don't always ride them one right after another so I didn't really notice the issue with the brake levers till now. I'm still very much a newbie to bike trials, but grew up on moto trials. (Although still not good at that either! Ha!) So I am debating on switching my brake levers so they're the same as a motorcycle before I get used to my bike being one way or the other. I see you have yours that way, so anything in particular I should consider as far as pros and cons of swapping them? Thanks!

Old 03-19-2017, 09:55 PM   #32
Shipley

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just picked up another bike and the brakes were setup moto. I came from a bicycle background engrained long before I ever started riding motorcycles though so there was no way I was going to be able to keep the brakes that way. For casual riding is one thing, but for trials grabbing a handful of the wrong brake at the wrong time trying to retrain my brain didn't seem like it was going to end well.

For you if you're already used to it you might have an easy transition. If you've got vee or mech discs they're easy enough to swap cables and try it out to see.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:51 PM   #33
OTN_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Thanks Shipley! I have mechanical discs on the front (after too many headaches with the stock hydros) and vee on the rear, so I think that'll be my project for this evening! I'm honestly worried about making an error on either bike with the brakes as I've already had two reconstructive surgeries on my shoulder and don't want to risk a third over something that maybe could have been prevented. I'll see how it goes and post an update! Thanks again! Cheers!

Go Back   Observed Trials Bike Forum > Observed Bike Trials Forum > Beginner's Area

Quick Reply