where do all the people work?

Discussion in 'The Gutter' started by tomacropod, Dec 11, 2003.

1. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

I was just curious as to where all you working folk out there actually worked ? I guess a few of you work in bike shops (with internet access and time to use it? not common in Australian bike shops...) and a few more are "wow kids" who work hard at taking their parents' money - and yet more are studying at university of some description...

I don't know - tell me where you work and what you do !!

I'll start - I work at a great big hardware store where I can get all my non-bike-specific tools for cheap - and it pays good ! been working weekends there for two years to support university during the week.

- Joel

2. alexm

alexm New Member

well i am a 17 year old student working at a terrible fast food restaurant which is 5 mins drive down the road from my house.

i have been working there for 22 months and i have hated every moment of it however, this has helped me keep my bike in working order, and in fact helped me buy my first trials bike.

I am too lazy to look for a new job, even when i am on holidays so i predict i will be working there for another year or so :werd:

better start looking for a new job, nice thread tomac ( he was a good rider wasnt he :cool: )

Alex

3. Simonk

Simonk New Member

I assemble bikes at toys r us.
    And my parents pay to keep me alive and shit so i guess thats where most of the money is coming from.

4. ty

ty shizzle dizzle

i occasionally work for a couple motorcycle shops around here but during the school year im mainly a college student, and i live off of money i have saved from working a lot in the summer.

5. Mike

Mike Self proclaimed Huguenot

I work at a Bike Shop in Victoria, BC, Canada on saturday's and go to high school the rest of the week. Sunday's riding time when it doesn't rain which is never.

Garbage Man

6. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I used to work at a bike shop...for the last 8+ months I've worked at a real estate loan center, wearing a suit every day. However tomorrow is my final day of working!!

7. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

I have a desk job at a big mailorder bike shop .I watch bike vids and listen to music all day.Occasionally I tell mechanically inept yuppies how to fix their bikes or better yet to not touch them for fear of bodily damage. 2 1/2 years and $11.50 an hr.Not terribly bad for a highschool
    dropout.It makes buying parts a whole lot more affordable.

I just made 1$ typing this reply. :bigthumb:

8. TrialsinKy

TrialsinKy New Member

I am a bum who gets by on spare change I find in couch's and whatever I borrow from my parents. Its damn near impossible for me to get a job in this town, I've even been rejected by McDonalds!!!

9. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

i am a poor grad students who gets by being a Teaching Assistant. Although I will be a research assistant so I won't have to deal with undergrads anymore

10. baltimore

baltimore New Member

supervisor at a brazilian owned exotic hardwood floor company.
    45k a year, free home cooked meals everyday for lunch, all hot chicks work there.

11. Haukaas

Haukaas New Member

nice work baltimore,

i dig shit up for money.

12. ty

ty shizzle dizzle

holy shit, its your last day tomorrow andrew?! that should leave tons more time for riding, eh?

13. [BMF] Chris

[BMF] Chris GTA MUTHER FUCKER!

i work 2 jobs, i work at a pizza place in the day, a bar at night, and a bike shop when i want free stuff. shitty hours, but i still ride, btw, bmf andy works at toys r us when hes not at school, so thats funny that someone else does. peace-
    Chris

14. Faction Bike

Faction Bike New Member

Thank You for calling Kinko's, This is Graham, How may I shove your fucking head into the document handler? (go into a kinkos on the weekday around 4pm and you'll see what I'm talking about)

Anyway, maaaaakiiiiinnnnn copppppieeeeees, is getting me through school. Well until this Tryall thing takes off......hahahahaha, now there's a good joke.

Ditto on the "holy shit Andrew tomorrow is your last day" What are you going to do now?

15. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

but manages to drive a Jeep Cherokee around :) I don't even own my car so forget I said that.

I think McDonald's is suing the Macquarie dictionary for including the term "McJob" in their latest edition as:

"A job, usually in the retail or service sector, that is low paying, often temporary, and offers minimal or no benefits or opportunity for promotion."

McDonald's claims that the term is derogatory and plus, they've copyright the term McJob (along with, apparently, one hundred and fifty other Mcterms)

anyway to stay in line with the post, I will elaborate on my place of employment as I didn't expect this kind of response.

winner (for the second year in a row) of the best hardware store in NSW/ACT - not bad for the little competitor to the big guys - Bunnings. :down:

sorry about the picture size, can you resize using code in this board as with HTML?

[​IMG]

16. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I just ate/drank 80 dollars worht of stuff at old c's payed by my boss. shots are way espxpensive damn.

anywha y waht i'm doing is school. and riding?

17. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

Oh it's chrismas party time @ work.Last year I lost count at 11 double bombay and tonics.Thats after a $40 meal YEAH! Going for a new record this year.

18. Patrick

Patrick New Member

I buy and plan raw material inventory for a company that makes the equipment used in open heart surgeries...

Andrew--is real estate loan center the same as a mortgage bank/broker?

19. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Patrick- brokers come to us...we are the bank that gives the loans, we go to brokers or retail (dont get much of that)

20. sebLG

sebLG New Member

i am a junk mail deliverer boy ehehe . parentrs paying to keep me alive, all the money i earn goes towards my bike :bigthumb: . barely any work involved and keeps me upgrading my bike constantly :D