Video...stuff you shouldn't do thread.

Discussion in 'Your Bike Trials Media' started by philth, Jun 18, 2007.

1. philth

philth Active Member

I'm on a bt of a rant this morning. I not being an ass for the sake of being the internet asshole, but I just watch a few vid's of a certain other forum TF....I'm getting bored.

Figure its time to make a list of do not's.....unless you like producing dull videos, or like to be slated.

EDIT >>>Better explained>> I am planing on making a vid, I am no video editor, and have alot to learn...I have been watchin alot of the better riders of the TF and here to get some inspiration and some ideas. This is where my want to start this thread came up. For the level of riders and their riding in the videos some of the videos did them no justice....I don't want to fall into this when I edit up my own. So instead of the recomendations and Do's, I figure with editing like my riding style I want to explore and play, but would like to know what not to do. I dont want to get caught up in the idea of the video and have some nasty video trate sneak in dull it up.
    • Don't post a 2+minitue video of three moves, repeated, repeated repeated, repeated. How many vids I see where all it is, side hope, bump up, and wheel switch...if your lucky the odd drop gap. I don't care how many different same size walls you can do these moves on.
    • On the side hop thing, if you can't stick it, it doesn't count. getting both wheels on top of a wall for a split second before gravity takes over and off you come....this only counts as a bail.
    • Linkin Park?? just released a new album, bollocks you know what that means, hmmm no more in trials videos thank you. If trials video were in the dictionary there would be apicture of Linkin park next to it.
    • If a move is big its big...its obvious. Don't find the shortest person in the group and have then squat next to it...your not Pen and Teller, its not magically going to get any bigger.

measuring tapes...hmmmm...no
    :x:sweeet

If you have anything to add...

Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
    1 person likes this.
  2. trialspads

trialspads TrialsPads.com

I'm not usually picky but it does get annoying when the video fades before the rider finishes particular section or a move. And the constant flashing effects.

3. Laimis

Laimis Go BIG or go home...

:bigthumb::h5:

4. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS New Member

agreed-no more linkin park. if you're going to put some music over your vid, dont be a lazy shit about it.

-stop using the zoom transitions. that's a shit way to make an edit. i'd rather see a star wipe than the zoom transition.

-stop bitching about fisheye. if it looks big and it's... kenny or something- it looks big because it is big. bigger than the chumps like us who sit on computers instead of riding will ever go. if you use it, fine. if you watch, deal with it instead of crying tears from your panties.

5. KMT

KMT New Member

Mr. philth!
    Can we see a video you made?

About the sidehop thing... okay, it doesn't count, but it doesn't have anything to do with the video.

6. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS New Member

wtf? if it's a clip in the video then it has everything to do with the video.

7. KMT

KMT New Member

Okay, my english is shit.
    But...
    why is it a problem if someone puts a clip of a sidehop which he can't stick into a vid?

Btw, I agree with the first and third point, but the second one makes no sense.

8. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS New Member

it's not a crash and you didnt make it. that's whack. you never see half assed almost super cool shit in skate vids... or any kind of good vids for that matter. close doesnt count, it's either super dope or you beefed it. all that in between crap should go in the trash can.

ps- your english is fine.

9. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS New Member

another new rule:
    -no comic sans for your titles. unless you're going for "dont take this video seriously"... along similar lines, no sand font either.

10. philth

philth Active Member

First off let me clear up, I'm not ripping on anyone. Purely puting forward the point that if your going to produce a video, what to avoid to have the video appreciated the way you intended it to.

There are alot of very good riders out there, there also is alot of very good videos...but there too are good rider in bad videos, not what you really want to show case if your the rider.

As for me, my video...other than DVD apperience 2months out of surgery, I have yet to produce one.
    I am about to start filming, more of a personal come back video.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  11. music_maj_34

music_maj_34 New Member

Points taken, but also take in to consideration some of us that know nothing about video editing (I'm learning as I go) also many of us can only do a few choice moves. I mainly make videos to watch my progress.

I do agree that watching the same moves over and over gets old real quick... at least choose different locations.

One last thing - my opinion... but Slower/ mellow music always draws me in more for natural riding and harder or faster music for urban.

12. philth

philth Active Member

I am no video editor, and have alot to learn...I have been watchin alot of the better riders of the TF and here to get some inspiration and some ideas. This is where my want to start this thread came up. For the level of riders and their riding in the videos the video its self did them no justice....I don't want to fall into this when I edit up my own. So instead of the recomendations and Do's, I figure with editing like my riding style I want to explore and play but would like ot know what not to do. I dont want to get caught up in the idea of the video and have some nasty video trate sneak in dull it up.

13. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

i agree with everthing in the original post, i can't watch those types of videos for more than 20 seconds.

14. smudge

smudge Central Scrrrrrrrutinizer

fixed

15. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS New Member

true that smudge, i just figured i would narrow it down for the thread.

16. flixlee

flixlee flixlee

Don't zoom in if your camera is just handheld! The shaking makes me vomit.:barf: Use a tripod with a video head whenever possible. Exceptions are comps when you don't have free access around the section. But anything else, there's no excuse!

17. isah

isah New Member

Sometimes i like this artsy kind of shaking ;) i prefer it to the same camera position all video long.... other stuff is true i guess.

18. Biketrialbrasil

Biketrialbrasil Echo dealer in Brazil

the most of all vids it´s the same thing.
    sidehop/drop gap/wheel sweap/hook ups...

I love the Ali-C,TRA and others creatives riders...

19. AndyT

AndyT New Member

just tell a story or try to capture the feelings you had while riding/filming in the editing..that is all you need to do. Make the viewer feel like they are there and are engaged in the movie.

20. denib

denib No blood no band-aid

:werd: