UCI vs. BIU style...?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Bloodhound, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

I dont get what people mean when they say they ride more x/y style than y/x style. x & y refering to UCI & BIU.

I know there are some technical rules (most common the pedal/bash counting as a dab in UCI) that are different, but how can you say that a particular frame is better for UCI than BIU?

Thanks'

EDIT: rephrased my question

2. Allmjm

Allmjm New Member

I think you meant to say you CAN'T use your bash and pedals in uci. Anyway for comps there are many more rules then just the bash/pedal counting as a dab. Some of the others (for uci) are: 5 if front axle goes over tape even if its not touching the ground etc. When people say they like UCI over BUI or vise versa, it’s not just that they aren't using their bash etc but they also think about getting up/around/through a section. There is also a different appeal aesthetically, some like watching UCI more, a fewer # yet others like watching BUI more. With that said UCI is better.:bigthumb:
    Martin

3. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Ride a UCI frame for a year...then ride a BIU frame for a year...all your questions will be answered, you won't be able to do the same moves on both bikes in the same way.

4. Eder

Eder New Member

But why do the bikes have to be so different just to go to tire only?
    I know its a lot harder to go to rubber instead of bash but is it that hard to use the bash on a uci frame? Isnt it that uci frames (koxx, coustellier) are better than other frames at all?

5. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Well UCI frames will have UCI parts...meaning bashrings the size of your pinky, and I can guarantee you from experience a 1/8" wide super small smooth bash ring is all but useless for someone used to a big toothy ring. Not many people are comfortable bunnyhopping or spinning around with UCI frames.