To those who hate Maguras...

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Bloodhound, Nov 23, 2003.

1. I will never ride Maguras!!! Vees all the way!

78.3%
  2. Maguras are the only thing I will ride!

4.3%
  3. I happen to ride Vees/Maguras but have nothing in particular against Vees/Maguras...

17.4%
  1. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

The hs33, some swear by it, some swear against it... I'm intrested in knowing why those people dislike them so much?
    (please be specific, no useless rants)

Thanks'

2. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Got more product than Ron Popeil Staff Member

I ride an hs33 with an RB lever and IMO it's the best rear brake out there.

I would not be opposed to riding a rear V, provided I could get it set up so that the lever action was buttery smooth. That being said, I will definitely shoot for four-bolt mounts on my next frame and if I wind up with two-bolt mounts (won't happen) I'll probably ride a V. The magura 2-bolt adaptors suck.

3. Elan

Elan steve french

i had a pair of maggies on my first bike, and they were the suckiest ever..but i have ridden some very nice set ups with em..just not for an extended period of time... im really happy with my ultimates, eventhou i jsut kinda broke them..

4. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

the 'suckiest ever' doesnt really tell me much, care to elaborate?
    thanks'

Avid Ultimates... arnt they REALLY expensive?

5. Elan

Elan steve french

oh, by "the suckiest ever" i mean that they leaked ALWAYS, they never stayed adjusted, and they were definately shitty 2-bolt system.. yes teh ultiamtes are expensive, i got them through the shop i workl at for damn cheap, and they are worth it because they are the most reliable brakes ive ever seen. for instance, i just broke the sension screw righr off with my schoe while i was pedal upping my garage deck, then i back wheel dropped it unknowingly with a broken brake, and i am still here, so that makes me happy.

6. Fast Fashion

Fast Fashion Youth in Asia?

i also hate my magura. the only reason i run one is because my frame has 4 bolt mounts. If the new woodman adapters work well, i will be purchasing a set and putting V's on my bike.

edit: mine don't leak. They funtion properly, but they have no power. It is also a pain in the ass to get them set up properly.

7. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

i hated my maguras. i have had the worst luck ever with them. friends are still on the same set as ever with no troubles while i have had several systems leak and blow up on me. i have had a maggie leak from pretty much every possible place. i have felt some really money set ups but with my luck, i dont even want to try and get one going. the only reason a maggie will ever be on any bike of mine again is if the frame has 4 bolt mounts and i have not yet made a vee adaptor yet- only situation.

avid ultimates... well lets just say i have been so pleased with them, so very pleased.

8. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I love my maguras, I love setting them up and having them work perfectly. :)

9. thomas.whittaker

thomas.whittaker New Member

i quite like v's, i mean like the guy sed up the page if you get them set up nice they are the daddy. i would like maguras but neva got round to buyin any so just rode v's if you can still do the same moves with either set why bother changing?

10. unlearn

unlearn Member

i personally would like to see drum brakes make a comeback...i mean come on, look at what it did for Tandam bikes! And think of the superstrong flanges that we could have...

11. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

to the people who had leaking hs33's, y did they leak? did you hit/pull them or did you get them like that? I know i dont wonna buy anything with the risk that they might be leaking right out of the box...

12. unlearn

unlearn Member

calm down bloodhound...

the leaking is a very RARE occurance and 9 times out of 10 the reason people hate maggies is cause they don't have the skills to set them up and maintain them...

i think the best answer to your orginal question is that vees and maggies are personal preference...you just have to ride both and make up your own mind...good luck man

13. TrialsinKy

TrialsinKy New Member

I dont like running Maguras because I ALWAYS break the levers, and because there an overall pain in the ass. Mainly because maguras dont fit well on x-stams. But overall there better than hayes mechanicals!

14. Elan

Elan steve french

if your a technical rider, and you have lots of tiem to maintain your bike, get teh maggies..but if your just an every day rider type of person, i really dont see the reason to own them. i haveridden some very nice set ups with maguras, but not bice enough to make me want to get rid of my ultimates. especially since i just got free parts from avid because they are sooo cool!

15. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

mine leak due to my horrible karma. it really is rare to have a maggie leak. the tech guy, jude, has seen so few of the hs-33's leak that he was shocked to hear what mine do all the time. their disk breaks will all eventually leak i hear. they work so well untill the do spring a leak then it's all down from there.

if you are not getting maggies in the first place beacuse you are affraid of leaks- dont worry about that. you should be tossing maguras for leaking if you already have em, not avoiding them because of someone else's troubles.

16. Fast Fashion

kevins leak because he makes fun of retarded people. :rofl:

17. Elan

Elan steve french

18. Fast Fashion

mine won't adjust correctly and if after 6 hours of adjusting they finally set-up correctly, they stay that way for one move. and they have no power... or too much power, they don't stop my bike.

19. Elan

Elan steve french

boo to magura says i

20. CH!P

CH!P New Member

Personally i run a Magura HS33 and don't have any problem's. I have nothing against vee's but feel that the HS33 has that slight bit more power :D