tire taps?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by uownme, Feb 5, 2004.

1. uownme

uownme get high and eat her

I can't seem the grasp pulling it off. I can do it great on a spool(on its side)/slanted object, it will really launch me in the air. But when it comes to a 90 degree wall theere is no way for me to pull it off. Every time I actually do hit the wall it feels like it is just stopping me from going higher? I get no bounce off it like the spool/slanted wall. Do i need to hit it with more speed? Hit it with the tire lower/higher? Hit it with a more upwards motion?

2. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

if it feels like it is just stopping you dead in your tracks then you are hitting it too slow/too low/too early. my guess is too early. you are used to hitting slanted stuff it sounds and when you do that, you contact the wall at an earlier point in your take off. hit a verticle wall a little bit later in the take off motion and it should help to spring you up better and use the slap to your advantage. this is just my best guess though and without seeing video or actually being there i cant garauntee this is the problem and correct solution

3. Sethbomb

Sethbomb New Member

uownme, where in Texas are you?

4. uownme

Im in Del Rio about 2 hrs from SA. I rode when Patrick was still in Texas. Maybe someone will remember me. Aaron is my name and i was a short, skinny, young white guy on mod riding expert class. I just got me a new stock and i am trying to figure out how to ride again. I was wanting to come up to Dallas sometime in the future. Maybe you could leave me your email and I can email you when I would like to come and maybe get a group ride going.

Back to the topic: Is it only for taller walls? It seems like something smal <30in it would be much easier just to pedal up it? My wheel feels so low trying to do it on something that small. But I will try hitting it faster/later today and see what happeans..

5. Sonic

Sonic Plaid, I have not gone.

uownme, Ill be down in San Marcos to ride the SWT campus in the spring, I hear it is practically made for trials. I know that's a way for you to come from the border, but if youre interested Ill let you know what the plan is when I go down there.

6. JK

JK New Member

dude you have to be really conscious about going up, not forward when you tap up stuff. You can hit the wall low to get up higher walls (up to a foot below the wall), but aim up!. If you don't tap -up and rather tap- forward you can push the tire down the object with potentially disasterous/hilarious consequences to your face.

Keep in mind that you don't really need to tap lower stuff, just backwheel it or ride onto it. Taps are for high stuff, in between a backwheel and a front hook height.

7. uownme

Thats what I figured. I will try a higher wall and see what happeans.

Sonic, I would like to ride then. Just shoot me a email when you plan to go, and I will see if I can make it.

O yea, Where the hell is San Marcos by? City wise? I am a idiot, I know..

8. Sonic

Sonic Plaid, I have not gone.

just NE of San Antonio, look it up, it's a college town, it should be on the map, supposedly it is real beautiful town as well, but not half as good looking as the women, SWT is a party school.

9. uownme

Its not to far at all from here, couple hours. Just drop me a line when you are going..

uownme@excite.com