Sun Ringle rear hub.....

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by oicdn, Feb 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oicdn

oicdn Look at my member...

Iw as looking at a catalog of stuff, and ran accross a Sun Ringle rear hub....

Here's the description:

12mm through-axle increases stability and stiffness in rear wheels, replaces sloppy movements of some skewered rear hubs on DH bikes, sealed cartridge bearings, same swift 10 degree engagement as our 439 hub for maximizing pedal strokes when you're stuck in today's sticky downhill sections/

Tech Specs:

6061 T6 alloy hub body.
    * 12mm through-axle.
    * Sealed cartridge bearings.
    * 32 hole
    * 425 grams
    * Laser engraved graphics.
    * Compatible with Hayes, Shimano, Magura.
    * 54.5mm drive side flange diameter, 54.5mm non-Drive side flange diameter.
    * 20.5mm drive side center-to-flange diameter.
    * 35.5mm non-drive side center-to-flange Diameter.

10 degree engagement...so 36 points? Is this a more durable hub than say a Hope XC or Bulb with 32 points? I don't have the cash for a King, but man, this Hugi hub is killing me with it's 12 points. Long strokes between engagement really make me feel iffy at times. I'm used to a Hope Bulb with it's 32, so this would atleast make me feel more confidant...it's no King, but it's a step up right?

Worth getting or complete crap?
    [​IMG]

2. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

Better than they used to be ,no promises tho.

3. Gardenfan

Gardenfan New Member

Save your money and get a king. 235 US right now at some online shops.

4. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

have fun replacing axles all the time... trials goes through those hub axles i hear. i went through one on mine and ringle is being a bitch about giving me a new one- all because my shop manager had to go and mention "trials"...

its a nice hub for dh and 4x and such but save up and get a king.

5. oicdn

Yeah...those are on eBay for like $35.....I thought it might be a good step in the right direction to get this Hugi out of my drivetrain, LOL.

6. Gardenfan

Gardenfan New Member

I wouldn't worry so much about a hub at this point anyway. When you are first starting out it just isn't necessary.

You have time to save up some cash.

7. oicdn

LOL, I was messing around and man, this Hugi is REALLY a pain....I mean I GUESS I could get by, but man, it sure as hell is annoying me. So inconsistent engagement from either the pawl JUST about to engage, or it just went past an engagement point and there is this HUGE GAP of wasted energy for me, LOL.

Prolly not gonna end up replacing it till it either breaks, or it just gets on my nerves past the point of being able to just "deal with it"......maybe it'll make me a better rider with learning to compensate, but I'm not betting on it, LOL.

8. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

if you are getting the ringle for dirt cheap then go ahead and get it. i would personally say to put that money towards a king but anything is better than a hugi.

hubs can make a difference when you're starting out. i would hate to have to learn how to do a pedal kick with a dumpy hub like a hugi or shimano (yes, even silent cluth, they suck too). a better hub will help out with a lot of stuff in the beginning.

9. oicdn

Yeah...Although I'm not stressing learning Pedal kicks, just locking the drivetrain with the cranks with trackstands, something that small even screws me up a little.:down:

But it's most noticeable when I try to pedal kick OFF something. It's wierd, I can get on my rear from like a bunnyhop, land on my rear, then pedal kick to get off a ledge, but I can't pedal onto my rear, lock the wheel then pedal kick....Hub has a little to do with it as I'll catch my balance to pedal up and there is a huge gap for engagement....LOL, guess I'm just a nit pick, LOL.

I guess I'll just snag it if I can get it for cheapie, like of the Bay...but there's no way in HELL I'll buy another hub from a retailer for price when I could save up like $50 more and get a King......

10. Raul

Raul New Member

11. oicdn

Oh, there's no doubt that things CAN be done on this hub....I guess it all depends on skill level and exposure/use of that hub....but eh, it's not working out too well for me...Like I said...I'm just a nit pick, LOL.

12. Fast Fashion

Fast Fashion Youth in Asia?

why don't you read my profile and quit posting stupid shit

13. oicdn

LOL! Skimboarding is similar to surfing....except that it's MUCH harder and teh inherent danger is alot higher.

http://www.skimonline.com/multimedia/videos/movie_preview.wmv
    http://www.skimonline.com/multimedia/videos/movie_1.wmv

Right click save as.....it's worth it. Those guys are actually friends of mine. Aaron Peluso Owns Exile Skimboards and runs teh website those vids are from Skimonline.com and all those guys in those vids are pros and on teh Exile team with the exception of Bill Bryan(We call him beaker). Beaker is currently the reigning world champion...infact, he's considered legendary. He's soo technical and consistent it's unreal...if compared to Kelly Slater, who is regarded as the best competitor andsurfer in the world, he's defintly not the best Big wave surfer. Bill does well in ALL CONDITIONS. If you DL that second vid, you'll see him skimming a 15 foot wave.... Kelly Slater has only 6 world championships....BIll has over 10, and he DOMINATES Wavelock(those artificial wave competitions) and people wonder how this "skimboarding guy" beats all the world surfers, snowboarders etc.

Skimboarding is like surfing in that you ride waves, but is DEFINITLY harder. Skimboards DO NOT FLOAT like a surfboard does, if the water isn't moving fast enough, you sink, if you don't run fast enough, you sink...basically, a controlled hydroplane. Since they don't have skegs (fins) like a surfboard, you can turn the board all you want, you'll STILL be going foreward unless you LEAN into teh turn. If you lean wrong, the board slips out from under you....

It's alot more dangerous cause some waves can be like 15+ feet high and you're in shin high water....so there is less room for error. Also, you don't start WITH the wave and paddle with it and stand up....you run as fast as you can, and run onto your board, not jump on it, as jumping on it takes away speed...looks easier than it really is. It's like the basis of skimboarding much like a trackstand is for trials...looks REALLY easy, but uh, it definitly takes some coordination, balance, and lotsa practice to do it right and consistently.

If you DL those vids, it might not seem anything more than surfing, but it's alot harder as you must keep speed as the board doesn't float, and in that second vid, you'll see Bill PLAYING on that 15 foot wave. He's not serious, he's just messing around...most people would be in fear of thier life, LOL. Might not seem alot when compared to surfing, but remember, surfers are in deep water on something that floats...he's in shin high water on something that doesn't......

The sport is VERY similar to how trials is...everybody knows who everybody is. Really tightly knit. Only a handful of shops cater to us, and the general populous thing we're doing something else. If you're on a mod "Ohhh, a BMX rider!" If you're on a stock, "He can do some pretty cool stuff on a MTB" Skimmers, "You can surf pretty good".....small sports that nobody really knows about....

Don't knock it till you tried it.

14. Fast Fashion

Fast Fashion Youth in Asia?

i lived near the coast of NC for 18 years. we have 3 beach houses there, so i think i know what skimboarding is. i have tried it. it's the easiest "sport" in the worl outside of snowboarding. It's nothing like surfing which takes an incredible amount of talent.

thus read my profile.

15. Gardenfan

Gardenfan New Member

You said in another thread, that you are quick to blame your parts for your lack of progression.

You are brand new to the sport, you are putting way too much emphasis on parts, which are not needed in the beginning. You are already on a trials frame, which will help you alot. Ride the Hugi until you can get the king. Work around your hangups about this part, because it is most definately not holdingyou back.

16. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

I second that... not that I'm one to say but still..

17. BiKe4EvEr

BiKe4EvEr New Member

one of my friends i belive has that hub. he used it for trials. the freewheel part of it blew up on him while pedal kicking.

18. oicdn

Yeah, I take it you've been to Cabo and ruled the waves then eh? NC and Jersey are regarded as the east coast's hotspot for waves, that, DE and of course Florida, but I seriously DOUBT you've taken ANY serious effort into the sport. Let alone try to ride waves. I have friends that are almost pro surfers, they can't skimboard for SHIT. They can't even do a proper drop, let alone run as fast as they can and one step.....If they do get on the board, they have control issues and most of the time can't stay on, let alone catch a swell...

I've only been skimming for about 6 months(everyday for 6 months, LOL). 1st time I got on a surfboard, I already could wrap, air and spray. There are people who've been surfing for a YEAR that can't wrap or even air, and I did it my first time on one....yeah...real hard.

I know that skateboarding REALLY helps when you goto learn how to surf, especially skim as it's basically skating on water for flatland skimming. So pretty much, the only things I REALLY had to focus on was my balance and leaning knowing that when I turned my body, didn't mean I was going that direction. I could already shove-it, 360 shove-it, and bigspin, and do like a 1080 from the second I hopped on the board once I got my balance. It took me a week just to learn how to one step properly, and I STILL can't do it everytime. But I seriously DOUBT skimming was as easy as you say it as for you....maybe flatland crap if you already knew how to skateboard, but I seriously doubt you took a serious stab at it....

19. AndyT

AndyT New Member

WHAT TEH FUCK DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH BIKES

STOP TALKING ABOUT YOUR GAY WATER SPORT

20. oicdn

LOL! I guess people here aren't as open minded as I thought eh?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.