Shimano Saint trials worthy?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by airmj, Feb 14, 2004.

1. airmj

airmj L33t Poser~

i'm sure ya all read and heard bout the shimano saint cranks, with all em rave reviews about how it's comparable to truvative and raceface and what not, and how it's "bb-less" design makes it save more weight, and spins lighter...and it sure costs a shitload more than the other cranks :p

but is it trials worthy? or is it too heavy? anyone tried it?

2. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

i wouldnt say they are too heavy. also theya re comparable in price to other really high end crank and bb set ups. they are definately some of the stiffest cranks i have ever felt.

i would be a little weary of the external shell bearings. oftehn times that is the first thing i scratch and bang on a new bike is the bb shell. i suppose the crank arm would provide a lot fo pretection from impacts but it would be wise to have a spare bb set up around if you did go with the saint cranks.

3. BiKe4EvEr

BiKe4EvEr New Member

im a hater of shimano saint

4. WhiteRavenKS

why? because it brought a ton of good ideas into a reality and will provide a stepping stone for future ideas to build and grow from?

awesome.

5. Tanner

Tanner New Member

6. Little Android Man

Little Android Man Free Cup!

i thought i read somewhere they weighed almost as much as profile chomolys..and dont they cost as much/more than middleburns?

7. airmj

airmj L33t Poser~

but the costs are balanced out eventually... once u get a saint that's all u need to get, no bb to get, no bash ring.

a high end crank coupled with a DH bb with a solid bashing would come up to about the same price as the saint...

8. Little Android Man

doesnt the saint come with a double ring bash though?

9. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

yes

10. WhiteRavenKS

yes? strange eh?

the saint cranks do come with a double-bash. you would need to buy a smaller bashring for dedicated trials use like ablackspire or something. the cranks are not the lightest out there but they are not as heavy as some profiles. they are as stiff though which is a huge plus.

11. Little Android Man

for the money would a set of middleburns be better? Or if you werent concerned with weight..a set of chromo cranks?

12. WhiteRavenKS

sure if you wanted to be sooooo 2003.

i wouldnt run saint cranks for trials. thats not to say someone else wont. there are better cranks for most people for trials use. the saint cranks are bad ass though.

13. airmj

airmj L33t Poser~

ah but the saints are bb-less, that's a 200-300g saving right there~

14. WhiteRavenKS

they are not bottom bracketless... they just have an external bb. there is still a spindle from crank to crank and there are still two big bearing set ups on to garry the spindle. they are just on the outside of the bb shell instead of tucked away in the interior. this method is lighter for its strength but not anything wildly lighter than other get ups.

15. vince

vince New Member

An average set of saint cranks is 1077 grams(from the shimano spec book). The race face diabolus crankset is around 1150grams. Keeping in mind these all include bbs.

So a complete saint set-up~1077g(assume the bash guard is the same as a ring)
    middleburns with integrated spider~ 455g :cool:
    bonz with integrated bash ring~610g
    race face north shore~534g+ blackspire granny god 180g = 714g
    www.rncmfg.com 3 peice cranks~38 ounces~1080 g + bashguard 180g+ spider= 1400g.

So if you were to add a long 120mm bb to the cranksets(250gramish) the saints are still comparatively heavy... But the price is pretty competitve.

Yes I was also curious about the new saints. But after all of this research i have no clue what to do. I think i'll stick to my race face north shores and bb, even though they are taper. :? orr maybe i should get the saints. :yum:

16. oicdn

oicdn Look at my member...

:eek: Gat damn...I had no idea the Middleburns where that much lighter than the Bonz...reltively same stiffness and strength....damn.... :cool: :cool:

17. vince

vince New Member

I'm ordering the saint cranks on monday. I'll be sure to take some pictures. :werd:

18. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

The chainring bolt cir measurements are likely to be teh gay new shimano std. they use on the xt /xtr. you will need a custom small bash ring.

they are heavy and you'd be just as screwed/well off with xt.

19. J.R.B

J.R.B New Member

[​IMG]

Looks like it's a standard 4bolt pattern. A decent review on the cranks here .

20. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

Thats good! Rigid craks noodly pasta fazul frame.