Rosslyn/ Dc area?

Discussion in 'NorthEast, USA' started by bwagner, Jun 3, 2011.

1. bwagner

bwagner New Member

It's been a couple years now, but I used to ride the Rosslyn metro station area quite a bit. I'm wondering if Its still cool to ride there without much hassle these days? As I become older i would rather not have to deal with Policemen badgering me over riding. Anyone ride that area much?

2. halfazn

halfazn New Member

I'll have a new ride come tuesday! Hurry up so we can ride!

For those of you that don't know the location...
    [ame]http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Arlington+Gateway+Park&sll=38.898577,-77.071812&sspn=0.001524,0.003479&ie=UTF8&t=h&hl=en&view=map&cid=468993320997072290&hq=Arlington+Gateway+Park&hnear=&ll=38.898613,-77.072605&spn=0.00153,0.004495&z=19[/ame]

3. TheGhost

TheGhost New Member

last time i was there was maybe like 3 years ago and i had no issues, granted it was at night. i'd love to hit it up tho.

4. Gilman

Gilman Blind Guy

5. KeepRollin

KeepRollin New Member

I rode there a little while ago without any issues.

6. bwagner

bwagner New Member

cool.....hopefully this bike will be done soon and we can all meet up there for a ride

7. mr7q

mr7q New Member

Trials noob in the DC Area here... You could say I'm "bike-curious." I don't have a trials bike, but have been riding most of the singletrack in the area for the last few years, and have been interested in getting a start in trials to practice fundamentals for my mountain bikes.

No idea if this is the right place, but are there semi-regular meet-ups for trials riders in the DC area? I'd love to watch and get to know some of the riders in the area and figure out where the hell I should start with the hobby.

8. crossroads_46

crossroads_46 New Member

Sadly no. Not many of us in the area. Just have to watch the forum to see if/when people are going for a ride. But if this one around Rosslyn happens, definitely come join us. I'm sure most of us would be willing to let you try our bikes and help you get started. Trials is painful, frustrating, and often rewards you with maddeningly slow progress, but it's bloody addicting...

9. mr7q

mr7q New Member

I'll keep my eyes on the thread and hope to make it out if you guys end up meeting up.

And I'm doubting you guys want a 6'7" 240 lbs gorilla thrashing your bikes! I would love to look at one, though, as despite having built up a few mountain bikes from the frame, I've got not idea how the hell a trials bike is put together.

Of course, the smart thing would probably be to buy a used one and go from there instead of building it up from scratch.

10. bwagner

bwagner New Member

Honestly my bikes are built for a 5'9" 232 lb gorilla ti thrash, so as soon as mine is built you're welcome to have a go at it. Of course it's a 24" wheeled street/trials bike,not a dedicated pure trials rig, o it may be a bit small for you honestly......

11. Gilman

Gilman Blind Guy

A few of us ride every weekend. Mostly in Baltimore but we also ride college park often. Everyone is always welcome to come out on any ride.

We usually don't post rides on the board. We arrange the rides via phone.

12. mr7q

mr7q New Member

I'll keep my eyes open for rides when/if they get posted to hopefully meet up and check it out. I figure it's always good to have people around to witness the more epic faceplants.

13. crossroads_46

crossroads_46 New Member

So.... anyone headed out there for a ride sometime soon?

14. bwagner

bwagner New Member

Hey Bud....As soon as my bike is done I'll be there once a week on average I hope. Not sure what exactly draws me to that area, especially since it's an hour drive from my home, but I just seem to remember really being able to have fun. Next week, Thursday, I hope around 5:00 pm will be my first ride there.....my fingers are crossed

15. Gilman

Gilman Blind Guy

CrossRoads if you want to come out on a ride just shoot me a pm with your name and number and i will add you to the text list for the rides.

Bruce can you do tuesday nights for rides? I might be interested in a ride next thursday if you are interested. I can get some people out probably.

16. bwagner

bwagner New Member

Hey Matt,
    Tuesdays are a bust for me bud. I've been going to a local "Bike night" with my motorcycle riding friends for a few years now, and I enjoy myself too much to give it up...sorry

17. crossroads_46

crossroads_46 New Member

Sweet, thanks. I'll send you my number. Weekdays are pretty tough for me to make though, so I'm usually only gonna be able to make weekend rides. But if you're ever riding in DC, Rosslyn, college park, etc... let me know.

18. mr7q

mr7q New Member

Fly on the wall mode here...

Ended up buying a bike used off the forums here, and have quickly realized that being clipped into pedals for the last 10 years has been nothing but a crutch and I suuuuuuuuuuck on flats. Waiting for a few parts right now, but it's back to the basics for me (trackstands, rocking and hopping) before I try anything even remotely dynamic. I'd still love to come out and watch and get to meet some of the local riders, though.

19. crossroads_46

crossroads_46 New Member

mr7q: If If I hear of a ride that isn't posted on the boards, I'll let you know. Have fun w/ the new bike!