Perhaps and engineering question, standover height?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Bloodhound, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

I just came to think of this while drooling over the stylish new DeSalvo, that seattube must be about...say 8", it dont really matter - my point is why dont they make it 3-4"? It would bring the standover height to a new level. Wouldnt it be stronger? I would think so, but what do you guys think?

2. ascentrek

ascentrek Original power yuppie

That one is simple physics.... I think. Anyway, it has to do with a little of instability and strength.

3. Elan

Elan steve french

4. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

now thats a sweet bike,the most standover height you could ask for, ground clearance only slightly diminished under the downtube.

That looks like the same color of the 04 Giant TT, so maybe it was a recent prototype.

5. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

i have never had a problem with seat sube length unless it is uber long... like 13"

6. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

recent? thats been out for ages. its a one off deal.

the new desalvo is about 7.5 inches, the xtp is about 7. the coos is like 6 or 6.5 i think.

you cant make a bike strong with 3-4inch seat tube. the bigger your triangles are the stronger they will get. you shrink it down that small and your bike will fold faster than super man on laundry day. the only bike with something that small is the koxx mod, and its a mod so there ya go. wont work too well with stock. it wouldnt make it stronger at all and in order to make it reasonably stiff it would be insanely overbuilt and heavy.

you can only use so much standover. your crank length will prevent you from ever making any use out of something smaller than the cous bike (hence why they made it that height). on bikes taller than 9inches (the levelboss) i hit my shins ont he top tubes a lot. when i ride other people's bikes like this i have to be careful about how i move my legs.

7. Elan

Elan steve french

word, i knew that cous guy was a genious... man, i cant wait to surprise sex andrew's..he is going to have to keep a close eye on that....

yea, why the hell would anybody ride that giant..on natural i cant image the shit that you would hit, and you gain absolutely nothing...

8. oicdn

oicdn Look at my member...

That bike is funky...I wonder how strong it is.....internal tubing triangles to assist teh strength? Who knows...that thing is funky, LOL.

9. AndyT

AndyT New Member

All I know is I drool at the bent tube on top of the cous (as well as the small seat tube)- just makes my shins/knees feel a lot nicer.

10. bigd

bigd I Have a

the triangulation of the "diamond" shape of the frame is what gives it its strength. a triangle is the single most stable and strongest structural form. when you shorten the seat tube you're reducing the stability of the triangulation effect. the shorter the seat tube gets the more the shallower frame is stressed, like standing in the middle of a long 2x4 supported at both ends, its gonna flex like mad. but, if you are standing at the top of a triangle of 2x4's, its solid and MUCH stronger.