My New Custom Frame, by Ground Up.

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Pancho, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Pancho

Pancho New Member

[​IMG]
    OMG, this is the sexiest thing I have ever seen. Eric Baar aka Ground Up Designs was responsible for this work of art, and it is off to Spectrum Powdercoating for some sCHweet powdercoat. Needless to say I had fun with this, the geometry was my decision, along with all the features like horizontal drop outs, but the design was Eric's. He is on his way to becoming one of the best frame builders on the continent. The welds are unbelievable...

CLICK HERE TO WATCH A VIDEO OF THIS FRAME-->

http://www.eengoedidee.nl/videoz/bike-trials/grounduptrials.mov

Geo...
    WB 1080
    Chainstay Length 14.75"
    Headtube Angle 71.5

It looks like a beast, but it weighed in at just about 5, so a little less than a Levelboss, but more than XTP, Coustellier (I think). Complete my new bike should be around 23 or 24, compared to 26 right now, even with a 3.2 pound echo...

Also, there will be a braze on for a friction shifter on the seat tube, but it's not on yet in the video.

Let me know what you think.

2. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Looks.....interesting ?

3. Pancho

Pancho New Member

Thats what I thought at first, but after a few moments I fell in love with it.

The true test will be how it rides I spose, and considering his reputation I have high hopes.

4. Pancho

Pancho New Member

I'm sure a lot of people on here will be naysayers and all, but personally the only thing that rivals this frame is the coustellier, and I'd have to say I prefer the Ground Up. Wait until you see it in person...

5. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Got more product than Ron Popeil Staff Member

I think it looks good pancho :bigthumb:

6. Pancho

Pancho New Member

Thanks Bill.

If for any reason you want to move the link to your own server, go for it. I don't care either way...

7. 61

61 New Member

it looks aight. cro mo is where its at. (i havent seen the vid you have posted...but) does it have mag. mounts? im building a custom bike and you gotta have the four bolts if you want to call it custom. anyway she looks good. can t wait to see it built. my hot girlfriend wanted me to put this stupid thing at the end of my reply.... :joshers:

8. Pancho

Pancho New Member

Nope, no magura mounts. I've had four bolts for 5 years, and now I've seen the light: a bad set of Vees is better than a good set of Maggies.

Also, if I ever wanted to I could have him weld four bolts onto the top of the chainstays and I could have my choice.

9. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Got more product than Ron Popeil Staff Member

Pics or ban :x:

10. BrettM

BrettM New Member

Pics eh...I got a couple but don't know how to upload em here...

11. oicdn

oicdn Look at my member...

Any other pics? I hate that eengoedidee site....slow ass transfers....

Ground Up designs doesn't have any pics fo ANYTHING except roadie stuff...

12. Patrick

Patrick New Member

Pancho.. Looks cool. build it up pronto and post some pics.

13. uownme

uownme get high and eat her

that would suck to have your nuts get stuck in between the toptube, like a hammer pulling out a nail.

postless post i know, i like it though

14. oicdn

:D

15. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

Chainstays are seriously short.. Must be nice on the rear wheel... Won't gapping be a little harder with such a short chainstay?

And how big wheel can you fit in there?

And most importantly. Price?

16. Pancho

Pancho New Member

Well, another benefit of the horizontal dropout is that I can adjust chainstay length from 14.75 to 15.75, so if I do happen to have trouble gapping or side hopping or anything, I can adjust it to my preference.

It fits a 26" 2.2 with about a .25" of clearance on either side, so I'm thinking a 2.5 will fit, but probably nothing bigger.

Price: not sure yet, this was a prototype for sure, and even at best it will be pricey. More than the Coustellier by a little I'm guessing, but keep in mind you can have anything your mind desires for that price, and the quality will blow anything from China out of the water. But for a trials bike, it will be expensive. Compare it though to XC, or DH especially, we have it easy.

I will get more still photos when it gets back from Spectrum. Oh, and Groundupdesigns.com hasn't been updated yet for 04, but expect riding video and more details to come soon.

17. oicdn

:eek3: 14.75!!!! GAT DAMN that's crucial....

Neato...looking foreward to those!!!! :bigthumb:

18. Elan

Elan steve french

dual top tubes... hmmm...looks like fun... cant wait to see how it rides.

19. oicdn

Dual top tubes....I wonder if your shins and knees will hate you after the ride? :?

20. Little Android Man

Little Android Man Free Cup!

cant be too bad if urban riders love the evil imperial so much.