Looking for strongest 26" trials fork

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by slobert, Oct 28, 2010.

1. slobert

slobert big guy on a little bike

Hey guys, I am a freakin huge clydesdale and the fork I am on now ( older Echo unkown model ) flexes like crazy and makes me cringe when ever I am on the front wheel. Even just rocking back and forth for balance will have the fork bending back then sprining away when unloaded. So what are your opinions on the strongest and stiffest stock trials specific disc fork. Also, I inpect the welds on the fork tubes to steer tube junction before every ride for cracks. Is this good enough or should I pull the fork and look for cracks on the steer tube further up? where is it most likely to break.

2. kobrakai

kobrakai Kai

try to find a fork made by aprebic (meta, koxx forks). they will have a steel steerer and fairly thick fork legs. i've sworn by them for a long time, and there is a huge stiffness difference. some people on here will probably also recommend the cannondale fatty fork although they are increasingly difficult to find.

3. "5k"

"5k" Catwalk Champ

I think the Trial Tech is very strong for it's weight, it does have a cool threaded aluminum steer tube so you don't need a star nut. Also it has the disc mount with added offset so you can run a larger disc without an adapter if you have a hope. The wall thickness of the steer tube is 6mm so I highly doubt you will have any problems unless you are hooking like a mofo.

Again this is coming from a 150-160lbs rider (well you have seen my stick like build), but from an engineering standpoint the construction looks FAR stronger than anything deng.

http://www.trialspads.com/shop/trialtech-26-fork.html

4. AlexC

AlexC New Member

i vote either rockman/koxx/meta, or the trialtech

5. Sam.S

Sam.S New Member

I want forks that can take an 8 incher without adapter.

6. Borg

Borg Null.

I have a Koxx fork and I find it flexes quite a lot on front wheel gaps.. and I suck at front wheel gaps.

I tried a front wheel gap on an Echo SL fork and I almost shit my pants.

Koxx/Meta fork also has only 35mm offset, a friend of mine always asks if my fork is bent.

Rides nice though, makes wedges and such easier.

If I break it... it's getting replaced with the same fork if I can find one, even if it's $200.

It's lasted me 2 years so far, and a previous rider for unknown amount of time, probably another year or two... definitely a good fork to buy, considering how many broken Echo forks and Rockman forks that are floating around.

+20 fork and +20 caliper.

[​IMG]

7. bundee80

bundee80 New Member

QFT. I've got a Meta and a Fatty - both super stiff. I had trial tech 4-bolt fork I used for 15 minutes. Couldn't get down with dual HS33's, but the fork felt money. I'd bet my money on that one. I've been pondering getting a new for just because I'm paranoid about snapping mine. Been riding the Meta fork but got it used, so I think I'll preemptively replace it before I have to replace teeth.

Also, are you sure it's the fork flexing and not your wheel/spokes?

8. dmiller403

dmiller403 prefer my ride 'stock' w/ dual disk

I run a fork that came with the 05 zoo pitbull. Ive heard its highly sought after. And damn is it stiff. Try and take a look in my album in my profile. Its the same fork i had on my pitbull i now have on my onza. But it is bulky. And no i wont sell it. You saw the other thread im the second biggest dude...after you. Haha.

9. slobert

I love this forum. Thanks for the quick replies so far. More info, I run an 8 inch disc to cope with my weight, so if that factors into the choice let me know.

@Bundee - Yah, its the forks. they flex an inch to incha and a half when I am doing rocking pivot turns. I have been videoing my riding to look where I need to improve and the video looks spookier than riding it did. Of course getting smoother might help since I am a total hack.

@5k - Yah, I looked like a stick too...20 years ago. I am bummed i haven't been able to make it to any of the Seattle rides. I am working nights and watching my baby girl alot during the days. Still riding though, just progressing slowly riding by myself. Still having a ball. Oh, and my wife is the best. Two months ago I mentioned maybe the possibility of selling the trials bike since we could use some extra cash and I wasn't riding it as much as I wanted to. She said no way because she could tell I loved riding it and she suggested putting the girl in the play pen in the garage with the door open so she could watch me practice and ride in the driveway. Now I ride at least every other day. Just need to get some pallets.

10. egidio

egidio New Member

you should also check if you have properly aligned and tightened headset

11. My Little Pony

My Little Pony New Member

http://www.identitibikes.com/identitibikes/products-details.php?id=FKIDT26K

The tuning fork. Not light and not trials specific but the geo is about right. I've always been hard on forks and this fork has been put through a year of me (210lb) learning how to do gaps to front and it is showing no sings of fatigue. The other plus is, it is steel so it will bend before it breaks.

12. slobert

Yup, always the first place to start. The head set is solid and no movement at all at the races. Its a ahead set Pig DH. They hold up well to my size and this one is new with no signs of wear or ovalization yet.

13. stocktrials

stocktrials Mitch.

Trialtech, I reckon.

14. Ramrod

Ramrod My body is ready.

Echo is light, but flexes like mad and will most likely snap if you are a horse

My friend is a stick bug and it still manages to flex and will almost snap

15. Borg

Borg Null.

I'm about 155 lbs and the Echo SL is a fork I would definitely NOT ride.

16. Akira_shock

Akira_shock New Member

17. Kibble Fat

Kibble Fat Check out my new pop-n-lock routine!

I have a hifi. The urban flexes less and weighs less.

18. tra la log

tra la log New Member

how do planet-x knifen forks rate for strength?

19. AlexC

AlexC New Member

as far as i know they were very strong. If you have one keep it!!

20. Noel

Noel New Member

i have one that i dont need or will ever use but its a 420mm