Is this King trashed?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by oicdn, Feb 16, 2004.

1. oicdn

oicdn Look at my member...

I bought a used King hub for $150...guys says it works fine, but here are the pics...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He put on individual rings, not a cassette....I think a cassette can still go on it, and not have ANY issues, but I'm curious, is that freehub body KING specific, or can I just go get any freehub body and slap it on if it DOES give me issues?

I doubt it will as only every other spline is notched, not each one and it isn't rounded, so I should be fine right? Looks to be fine otherwise, pretty mint, LOL. Dunno how the insides look, but judging from the exterior...I'de guess it'd be fine....He said he didn't know the freehub body was AL and he put on the individual cogs (without the carrier) and since he was swapping to a Disc rear hub, when he took it off he noticed the gouges....so teh gouges aren't the reason he's selling.....

$156 shipped for a King, did I do aight? I already paid for it, and it's on it way come today via FedEx...did I just rip myself off? LOL.

2. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

omg you got sooooo screwed! :joshers:

the king free-hub body is designed for a king. you cant just put anything you want in there. it will work fine. i have seen notched free hub bodies much much worse than this in the past. keep an eye out on it though month or so to make sure they arent getting any deeper. if it ever does become a problem then just send it to king to have it replaced. looks like you got a good deal.

3. oicdn

Yeah...they guys said if he woulda known it was AL, he wouldn't have used individual cogs and used an XT type cog with the carrier.....

I have an XTR 7-speed cog, so I'm thinking I'm fine.....he said he broke it in fine and it engages perfect....so I tossed him $156 and it went out today.....LOL, I hope it all works out fine and I can live with the notches....thinkin about upgrading to the steel one just because, and getting teh funbolts for it at the same time....how much should that run me?

4. Sonic

Sonic Plaid, I have not gone.

Excuse my constant ignorance on all of this, but what cant you use on a Chris King hub for a cassette? I have a Shimano HG60 cassette coming in to use, am I reading that only CK cogs can be used on a CK hub? :dunno: :?

5. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Got more product than Ron Popeil Staff Member

Nah, use whatever you want Sonic.

If the cassette body is all attached you'll be less likely to gouge the freewheel shell, but I use individual cogs on mine and it's just fine. I would recommend a king cog though, cause the base is really wide and they're just so sweet :). Only problem is they're like $20, and I got a couple barely used cogs free from a local roadie shop here.

When's your stuff due to be in?

6. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Use WTFever you want, unless you're a flaming roadie. Normally I've run just dura ace cogs and one steel, new setup is 2 king cogs and plexi glass...yes...shifting...

7. Sonic

I know Seth runs them and they do look pretty sweet. Ill start looking around at local shops and see what they have. Ill also ride for a while and see if I like the same gear setup on the Zebdi that I use on the Trek and then Ill know which cogs to order. Speedgoat sells them for $30 each. :eek: But I dig the straight chainline you can get with setting up your own cogs.

Dunno when the rest of my stuff will be in, received an e-mail from MeanTodd saying theyre waiting on my frame from PX. Once that comes in theyll ship everything out.

Just because Im a dork Ive taken photos of what I have received, check it out if you care. :p
    Parts Received So Far

8. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Sonic you are cute.

[​IMG]

the epitome of a gear nerd, you not only took pictures of the stickers you got...but you put them online for everyone to see :rofl: :bigthumb:

9. Sonic

Hey, like I said. :D I need my bike to be here, bad... :rant2:

10. RobbieP

RobbieP OTN FOR A THOUSAND MORE YEARS I SAY

the notches in my king hub are like 10X worse seriously

11. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

What tools are needed to costomize/build your own cassette? I have never messed with my cassette before, all I know is that mine is loose and I dont know how to tighten it.

12. AndyT

AndyT New Member

erm....Yes of course you still need a chain tensioner, the tensioner does just that -tensions your chain. Chain line has nothing to do with this.

Tools- cassette tool, chain whip, common sense.

13. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

Yea that wasnt what I meant with the tensioner, my fault for not explain it properly at all. It dont matter anyway.

Does anyone know of online guides/tutorials for doing these things? It looks complicated...

14. DaneBrammage

DaneBrammage New Member

With the wheel off, you use a chain whip ($15) to grip one of the cogs. You use a lockring tool ($15) inserted into the end of the cassette, along with a crescent wrench, to unscrew the cassette lockring. Once off, you simply remove the cassette itself from the hub body/cog carrier. Common sense like Andrew said: take off the wheel and the quick release skewer; you'll see the grooves where the lockring tool fits in.

After that its fun and games.

15. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

16. breakoutstout

breakoutstout New Member

If you upgrade to a steel cassette spindle it won't get notched up like this one. Then you can run any kind of gears you want. I'm waiting to do this myself. Right now King says they're out of steel bodies untill mid march. They will perform the upgrade for 32$ except you have to pay the shipping. It adds 48 grams to your hub. Until then I'm just running a cassette that is all pinned together as one piece. It's still pretty light.

17. oicdn

Got my King laced......AWESOME HUB...it sounds like a Ziptie though.....very intresting sound, but definitly better than the Hugi that was on there, and better than the Hope TI's which I previously thought was the best hub ever, LOL.

It REALLY helps for pedaling onto the rear wheel, no lost energy or slightly thrown off balance. I still can't consistently stay on the rear, but that hub has helped me get up with a nice list, so I'm pretty centered, vice cocked to the side like I used to be. And I also have to "wind up" less cause it has virtually no gap for engagement, so that helps alot....took a bit of getting used to for rolling drops, cause I "wind up" a little too much, but I should be fine by tomorrow....

If you don't have a King, get one.....even if I paid full price, I would be satisfied.