Indestructible..?

Discussion in 'Your Bike Trials Media' started by THEDEMOLITIONMAN, Aug 26, 2017.

1. THEDEMOLITIONMAN

THEDEMOLITIONMAN There can only be one DMAN

Chains snap a lot in trials, at least for me, so I've always been searching for the nirvana chain.That was strong and didn't weigh a super ton and was easy to work with.Went from the KMC415h chain and was able to get a large shipment of IG8 Whippermann's, in which I jumped at and couldn't wait to run.

Yesterday, just messing about on the Jetty's at my home.My chain decides to rip apart on me, I went flying along with the chain..lol.The IG8 did last me a full year, which is still pretty impressive for my chain track record.Check out the pics, it's pretty crazy how it ripped apart..

Thedman

Attached Files:

2. My Little Pony

My Little Pony Active Member

Looks to me like a half link broke, which I would never recommend using on a trials bike.

3. THEDEMOLITIONMAN

It wasn't a half-link, part of the chain ripped off and is most likely in the water.If you've ever come across a half-link for the IG8 chain, then you've found the pot of Gold..I've never had any issues with half-links though and I've been running them for years now.

I've got a new IG8 on my rig now, and I still stand by them.I'm not a small guy at 6'3"/245lb and parts don't last very long with me...hence my nickname lol..I'm just amazed the chain lasted over a year..;-)

Thedman

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  4. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

Its a half link. Its also a completely different style of chain with taller plates with holes in. No wonder it broke.

If its not a half link then why are the plates bent into the shape of a half link and why does it look like both ends match perfectly?

5. THEDEMOLITIONMAN

You guys called it..:bowrofl:..I got the mod off my buddy, the IG8 came with it, the chain was said to be "New". So I wouldn't of assumed it had any half-links it at all..Man was I wrong, it actually had two..lol.IG8 half-links are suppose to be nearly impossible to get, of course the rig I buy had two of them..lol.

After I recently told him about the break, he said he used half-links to get the right chain line.I guess it's a good thing I'm running a New, out of the box IG8, no half-links on this set up..lol

Now it should be all set now..:bigthumb:

Thedman

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  6. THEDEMOLITIONMAN

Same rig, today my tube had a massive blow out, I've never had a blow out like this before..lol:momaru: I think it's a sign for me to move past the mods and ride my 24 and 26" rigs more..:bigthumb:

thedman

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  7. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

Wait...you said it wasnt a half link? I think I met you at Motorama.

8. THEDEMOLITIONMAN

Yup..I was mistaken, I should of looked at it more closely..:eek5:.. I should of asked Dan sours-nobody-cares about Bowhers, to inspect it for me..lol..You're still a major tool man, even after all these years..:wuteva:

Thedman

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  9. modtire

modtire Easy, just don't lead them as much

Two half links sure don't make a right, who the hell uses two super weak spots to do what can be done with zero. That said says good things about the normal plates and pins and chain breaking process. All in all I've been impressed with Wipper chains. Though I bet the chain on the freight elevator at work would hold its own. You ever use the super heavy bmx ones or moto? Alignment can be tricky, but they are beasts.

10. THEDEMOLITIONMAN

I've been running Whippermanns for a while now, not a fan of the half-links..lol..If the Whipp does ever break, I'll just return back to KMC's 415H..I've never broken one of those..

Thedman

11. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

I've only used the 9sp wippermann connex stuff which is absolute shithouse. Chains lasted weeks. So wouldn't recommend them if you're trying to save weight on a chain (obviously not talking to THEDEMOLITIONMAN but anyone else in this thread).

I've always just used the heavy duty KMC chains on my trials bike too. The 910 is pretty ridiculous.

12. THEDEMOLITIONMAN

I got lucky with a company, who had 20 IG8 chains and claimed they couldn't sell them.They through me a kickass deal and I bought the entire lot.As far as I know, the IG8's have stopped being made, due to being too heavy for riders now a days.You've got the IR8 now which they claim is extremely strong, I own one and haven't tried it yet..it's my back up..lol

For me, it's all about having the psychological confidence and a strong chain does it for me..That's why I stick with the IG8, it weighs a bit more and you might have to modify things to make it run..It's worth to me in the long run.

Thedman

turtle likes this.
  13. jayrome

jayrome New Member

KMC 510. I also replace mine every three months and don't wait for it to wear out and break.