I keep falling down

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by narlyn00by, Oct 20, 2003.

1. narlyn00by

narlyn00by New Member

Bill, I have been riding trials for about 2 weeks now. However, I keep falling down! Are there any tips you can give me to stay on the bike better? I don't particularily like falling down, it hurts.

2. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Got more product than Ron Popeil Staff Member

Yeah, falling down isn't really all that much fun is it ;)? There are a few things that will help you right off the bat and they are:

1.) If you're riding in clipless pedals (i.e. the kind your foot clips into) you need to get rid of them asap as they will hinder your progress in the long run. I can go into more depth if you wish, but I will leave it at that for now :)

2.) If you're riding a cross country bike, as many newbies to the sport do, you should push your seat all the way down. When you have the seat higher, it will be harder to bail and will also make balancing the bike harder because there's less wiggle room for the frame between your legs.

3.) Don't try moves too far above your skill level. Trying harder moves is a great way to improve your riding ability and is an important part of the learning process. However, doing moves far beyond your skill level, or dangerous moves before you're ready can have the reverse effect, shying you away from similar (even easier) moves for fear of getting hurt.

4.) If you have a suspension fork with a lock out, lock that puppy out. It will help improve your balance, and save energy because you won't be pogoing around everywhere.

5.) If you're getting off balance, hop in the direction you're falling to get your bike back underneath you. This is a somewhat mentally challenging concept for quite a few people I've taught personally, but once they get it, they can stay on their bikes long enough to attempt a move.

6.) If you're in a position where you can rest by putting your pedal down on something, go ahead and do it. You can then better position yourself for the next move and/or catch your breath. When you're tired, you're much more likely to fall.

7.) Call me mike and you can come riding with us.

Bill

3. narlyn00by

narlyn00by New Member

Sorry Bill, I just could not resist it. I was going to post something about the two guys in the police van but i thought that would be too easy of a giveaway. The terminator avatar was a nice touch was it not?

Also, thanks for the tips!

4. OTAdmin

Yeah, I saw the terminator av and had to check :p... the police van would have been a definite giveaway :rofl:

5. narlyn00by

narlyn00by New Member

Bill did you delete Elan's post in this thread?

6. OTAdmin

7. Elan

Elan steve french

what kind of trials bicycle do you ride? or what kind of bicycle do you ride trials on? also: do you make your residence in colorado? this is for narly nooby.

8. narlyn00by

narlyn00by New Member

Elan, I am Bill's older brother. I don't really ride trials, I was just posting on here to make him laugh and see if he could figure out it was me. I am sorry for any confusion.

Mike