Hydro rim brake vs v brake

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by wvtrials, Jan 8, 2018.

1. wvtrials

wvtrials Member

I know this has been asked 100,000,000,000,000,000,000 times but it’s been forever since we had a nice discussion on this forum,

So which do you prefer and why?

I’ve only ridden hydro, but I want to try a v brake just to see what it’s like

2. aaccjosh

aaccjosh Active Member

3. wvtrials

wvtrials Member

4. aaccjosh

aaccjosh Active Member

you're here posting shit about (partial)marathon running, down hill biking, fishing... as if you're some little kid. and then go giving advice and starting a re re re re repost of a topic which is purely opinion as if you're our savior. Trials or get out. there is a chicken forum that might suit you better (ask Dada).
    V brakes! because while they are heavier and have poor lever feel compared to Hydro rim brakes they make less noise and work regardless of temperature and can hang around for a few months without needing a bleed.

5. wvtrials

wvtrials Member

Fine. Only reason I started this thread is because the newest ones I found on google where 2011, there’s been plenty of new brakes (v and hydro) since then.

And you try and start a thread that takes off!!!!

I may have only started riding trials 3 years ago but I’m no “beginner”

on my pure bike, I can pedal up to rear on a 37” high handrail, sidehop over a 37” handrail, gap to rear over 6' and hook a near vertical wall.

As for street trials, bunny hop to rear on 36” high post, bunny hop over a 35” high bar

6. wvtrials

wvtrials Member

I only offered a suggestion that really helped me

7. aaccjosh

aaccjosh Active Member

8. wvtrials

wvtrials Member

Whatever amateur

9. wvtrials

wvtrials Member

Btw good input on this thread

aaccjosh likes this.
  10. Swoofty

Swoofty Member

You know, since you guys are the only people on this site, you really should stay on speaking terms. You don't need a trials resume on this site, you need a troll resume. Just sayin.

wvtrials likes this.
  11. aaccjosh

aaccjosh Active Member

hey you make 3... and if we could just coax them into posting there are some other people watching just for the possible trials content.

12. My Little Pony

My Little Pony Active Member

You got me with this one. Coming out of lurking.
    Just in case anyone ever looks here I want there to be a well thought out answer that I think is trying to be objective. I'm going to go over all the pros and cons that I can think of. For my discussion I am only talking about a properly set up brake of each version.
    +That said I think it is easier in the trials world to get a proper hydro set up because you just copy what the best riders use and you're most of the way there. Also the best vee brake equipment is not made anymore so you have to find it on Ebay or swap meets.
    +I believe the Hydros are lighter but it is a small difference and if you are worried about a few grams on the brakes on a TRIALS bike I think you have your priorities wrong.
    +Vee brakes are WAY more durable. When something does break, it is usually a lever and the levers are cheaper then hydros. Vees have a steel cable so the cables are much less to worry about. An example is when someone brakes a bar, stem, steer, and sometimes a frame with hydros they will often destroy there brake lines in the process. I've broken all of those with vees and I've never done much, if any, damage to my brakes.
    +Hydro mounts are available on more trials frames and forks. If you want to use vees you will often need adapters.
    +There are more trials specific pad options for hyrdos. There are more decent options for all the parts.
    +Like Josh said. Vees are not effected by the cold the same way hydros are.
    +Hydros tend to feel more solid. Vees tend to feel squishier. This is a big factor for a lot of riders. From my experience, I think this is more an issue of set up rather then the actual function of the brake. I have vees that feel as solid as the best hydros I've felt.
    +Now what should be the most important part, the power. How I look at this is based on how much braking power you get based on how hard you pull the lever. What I have found is hydros have more power most of the time but there is a point where no matter how much harder you pull the lever the brake will not apply more braking force (why that is I do not know). That means the vee brake have a higher power potential. I think a normal sized rider will almost never need that extra power nor do most riders have the hand strength to achieve that extra power. If you are a bigger rider with stronger hands you might find the point where vees are more powerful. This is the best, most objective explanation I can come up with to explain why vee brake seem to work so much better for me but hydros work so much better for most others. I weigh about 235.
    +In conclusion I'd recommend hydros for most riders but if you are a big rider and you have access to the right vee brakes then go with vee brakes. Again this is referring to top end setups. If you are trying to save money it doesn't really matter just use trials specific pads.

I hope that is an acceptable answer for both sides.

I will now go back to talking shit about hydros any chance I get.

aaccjosh and wvtrials like this.
  13. wvtrials

wvtrials Member

That’s a nice largemouth bass, he didn’t have much of a gut but it’s 17” if I remember correctly

14. Swoofty

Swoofty Member

Attached Files:

15. wvtrials

wvtrials Member

I don’t get it.

16. wonnabe

wonnabe Member

This thread is starting to remind me of the good old days on OTN

17. Blackstick

Blackstick Well-Known Member

Reckon you might be right Bob.

18. NateE

NateE wtflol

Please enlighten us on the technological advancements of v-brakes since 2011. No...just no. The reason this hasn't been asked since 2011 is because nothing has changed since then....since 2004 for that matter.

19. wvtrials

wvtrials Member

Lol Well maybe not v's but hydro. Clean t13 Jack Carthy lever racing line nano,