Hydro or Vee's?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Area' started by TRD, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Magures hs33 or echo hydro

138 vote(s)
    57.5%
  2. Vee's with a good setup

102 vote(s)
    42.5%
  1. TRD

TRD New Member

Im tired of screwin around with my echo hyro rear brakes, how are vee's? Wat vee setup should i look for?

2. You should buy HS33's instead of the Echos.

3. TRD

TRD New Member

Ya ive heard echos suck more then magura, maybe i will, not sure. But i already have the echos

4. On second thought... because you weight like 80 lbs and don't have a job maybe vee's would be a better choice...

5. Kibble Fat

Kibble Fat Check out my new pop-n-lock routine!

I would try vee brakes in a heartbeat if it weren't for the $30 adapters. If you decide on using vees, don't forget the slick honey.

6. TRD

TRD New Member

actually i weigh 110, and im gettin a job this summer cause im getting my permit this may or june, cause i gotta pay for my truck insurance
    ok, do you know like what brand to look for? A good brand with good pads? if i got vees i'd probly get TNN pads

7. My TNN's for maggies work great...

8. Jitters

Jitters One Trick Pony

9. AlexC

AlexC New Member

on my mod i'm running maggies with alu-backing Rock blues, Echo SL booster with a light grind that needs to be reground - works quite well

stock i'll be running heatsink adapters with avid ultimate calipers... not too sure what cables/house, maybe Odyssey or XTR or Avid Flak jacket, alu-backed 44trials pads and a salsa CF booster with a medium grind - pretty excited to have this set up.

maybe bleed your brakes with water and it that still makes them suck, then get maggies

10. TRD

TRD New Member

K, thanks Alex, My friend in our trials club is a Magura dealer, so hes gonna get me a sirenge so i can bleed my brakes, but with mineral oil, i tried once and couldnt figure it out, but i had the bike shop do it and they didnt do it right, the bleed didnt last long

11. Redneck

Redneck Big boom...I want big boom!

magges FTW. never had an issue with then while riding that wasnt my fault.

12. AlexC

AlexC New Member

Well why not just use magura blood? Pretty sure it's identical to mineral oil, a 10 weight mineral oil. You live somewhere warm, just do the bleed it yourself using water. Although I'm not 100% sure which version of Dengura you're using, but sometimes the seals don't work with water... Try it

13. bipyjamas

bipyjamas Snaps: 5

I can't comment on Maggies since I don't own a set or used one for extended periods, but I've had no confidence issues with Vees as a beginner rider at ~175lbs.

I run,

• Cheap Deore arms
    • SD7 levers
    • Some random (but quality) cable I had lying around
    • Heatsink red pads with CNC backings
    • Echo booster
    • Sharp grind
    • Some unbranded CNC adapters
    Benefits,

• Easy to maintain
    • Adjustable lever reach
    • Adjustable actuation tension
    • Good bite
    • Solid hold
    • Cheap! Pads were the most expensive bit, more expensive than an angle grinder...
    • Doesn't leak :momaru:
    Disadvantages,

• Chunky looking with the adapters, arm and booster
    • On longer rides (2hrs+) forearm pump/fatigue might be noticeable, but so will your Popeye arms after a month or two
    Setup is key with pad and grind being the most important aspects.

14. TrevorBodogh

TrevorBodogh Banned

For the front, I recommend the Magura Louise disk (2008/2009)

For the rear, I recommend the Magura HS33, with ROCK, or TNN pads for the ultimate braking!

15. bundee80

bundee80 Member

If you gotta go out and buy a set-up, you might as well get Maggies. Check out brycer1968's thread in the FS forum. The guy's legit and has some smokin deals. You can get a full set for under $100. Add in pads: 20-40 bucks and it shouldn't come to more than caliper, adapter, lever, housing, cable, and pads for a Vee set-up. Just my $.02, though. :naughty:

16. filotr14lsdude

filotr14lsdude bike part distroyer

maguras are fantastic.

if you are running vees some avid black opps,heatsink adaptors,xtr levers odyssey linear slick cables with the tnn lgm v pads.

either work well,its the feel at the lever and the bite to hold ratio.its just preference.

17. TRD

TRD New Member

K thanks a bunch guys! I guess if i cant get my Echos bled again, I'll have to buy some HS33's :)

18. Kibble Fat

Kibble Fat Check out my new pop-n-lock routine!

I hate the sluggish response of maggies nearly enough to warrant trading them for a V brake system, but I guess I should focus more on learning how to use my bike as is.

Get the maggies so you can experience what everyone else is using, then decide to trade up later

19. matthewkelley

matthewkelley midwestbiketrials.com

I run super cheapo MTX V-brakes (or whatever), Odessey slick cable, and Problem Solver travel agents. Great reliability from lever pull to lever pull as well as having a VERY snappy lever return- which is so nice.

20. eaterofdog

eaterofdog Two dollars... cash

I would run whatever the frame is made for. No adapters and shit. So HS 33