hs-33 problem

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by cck, Feb 9, 2004.

1. cck

cck New Member

while riding a few days ago in very cold weather, i noticed the pad ajustment nob on the lever wasnt working. i spun it forever and nothing happened. then i decided to take the lever apart and anaylise the knob thingy. and it apears the thing the knob is connected to, snapped in half, probably because of the cold. has anyone else experienced this? can i just order this little 1 gram part, or do i have to buy a whole new lever? is saudering, or glueing it an option?
    thanks
    cam

2. Tanner

Tanner New Member

if you were to solder plastic to plastic together, I'd give you a thumbs up :ugh2:

3. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Got more product than Ron Popeil Staff Member

I'm not sure if you have to buy a whole new lever or not. If you do, consider purchasing an RB lever, I LOVE mine, and since an hs33 lever is like $60+, you might as well spend an extra $10 to get a more comfortable, more powerful lever :).

Bill

4. cck

cck New Member

yo tanner, its actually the metal spindal inside the lever that broke, so it may be possible

hmm, rb could be nice

5. Gardenfan

Gardenfan New Member

You can order a new part no problem.

Rb levers are nice, but about 90 percent of them develop leaky seals after a short while.

6. OTAdmin

thats too bad Gardenfan, I've been riding mine for a year and a half with no problems, looks like I got lucky?

Bill

7. Gardenfan

Gardenfan New Member

Maybe they just sent the shit ones to us canadians?

8. Tanner

Tanner New Member

OH! I thought you were talking about soldering the TPA adjuster back onto the lever..and...well..

9. Kartoffel

Kartoffel New Member

*sigh*.... HS22 > HS33

But since old stock is hard to come by, see if you can get a deal on an aftermarket lever.

10. OTAdmin

Well, the only difference between an hs33 and an hs22 is the lever.

The beneficial part of an hs22 is that it has a longer lever = more leverage

The beneficial part of an hs33 is that the master cylinder is smaller than the hs22, so it puts out more power (less pad travel, but more power).

I'd take an hs33 over an hs22 any day, I have both, as well as an RB lever. I'd rather ride the RB over any of them any day of the week, but the hs33 lever definitely comes in second over the hs22.

I also realize Kart, that this was probably different when you were into the sport originally, I think it was '98 that the hs33 got the "new and improved" master cylinder.

Bill

11. Kartoffel

Kartoffel New Member

Right on, Bill. I definitely remember when HS-33's came out. The smaller master cylinder can be a good thing provided the brakes are set up properly. Mechanical advantage rocks.

A drawback to the smaller cylinder, though is that you get less total pad travel for a full lever squeeze. The HS-33s also gained those breakable knobs that stick out. The equivalent adjustment on an HS-22 is bombproof, but you need to stick a teeny tiny 2mm hex key into a dark crevice to find it. It's a tradeoff. Both are good levers.

Theold HS-22s with those long-ass levers can give you just as much braking force: mount 'em way inboard and 1-finger brake on the end of the lever. Plus, with the longer lever travel you also get more leeway to set the brakes up with for more rim clearance. Mine are set so it locks hard with the lever only 1/4 inch from the bar. Makes a huge difference in hand fatigue.

12. OTAdmin

Definitely, thats what I meant by "less pad travel", but my RB lever has a smaller master cylinder than even the hs33 and as long as you keep your rim in true (which is NOT a hard task at all), I think I could go even 1mm smaller on the master cylinder diameter and not have any problems. I can adjust it so that it grabs from about 3/4 to 1/4 of the way from the bar, and it engages no problem.

I agree that the TPA on the HS33 lever is way too fragile, the one on the rb lever fixes this. It's between the lever and the bar and is a metal screw you turn. The only downside to this is that you can't really set it up with a thumbshifter (i.e. shimano). I've given up on shifters entirely, so this doesn't matter to me :).

Bill

13. BiKe4EvEr

BiKe4EvEr New Member

i highly reccomend RB levers. i have 2 of them (for front and rear, a bit excessive but they are the shiz). they give MUCH increased power compared to the standard lever, they look better, and they feel better i think!

14. Kartoffel

Kartoffel New Member

Blasphemy! :D Suntour made the best thumbshifters.

By the way, those RP levers sound pretty sweet.....

15. streetnutter

streetnutter New Member

Can't you just put a different bolt in, I thiunk thats what some one I know has done after his snapped.
    And its working fine.

Bill

16. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

17. cck

cck New Member

thanks roman, thats exactly what i was looking for. now it works great.

18. Pancho

Pancho New Member

Mine did that last week. I found the ultimate repair kit, it's made by Avid.

19. Elan

Elan steve french

AHAHAHAHA..way to go poncho