How to find good natural...

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Cole, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Cole

Cole New Member

This may sound absurd to all of you lucky riders in Colorado, but here in Corvallis, Oregon, finding good rock natural is almost impossible (because of all the silt brought into the valley by the Willamette river).

Anyway, I was wandering through the geography building on the OSU campus while on my way to class and noticed a gigantic geology map with a huge key or legend. So I was looking over it and looked at the key and found some incredible places in this part of Oregon to ride natural. You can even look for specific kinds of rocks, I wanted something really grippy so I talked to some rock climbers and found some of the best natural I've ever seen.

These are pics of the lines of rocks in a local park; this is the kind of stuff I had to ride before I looked at a map.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

you have a nice line of rocks there, try to link them all together... also do hard stuff like switch foot and short awkward runs ups with that stuff.

for new stuff... go out in the woods and walk around until a big rocks smacks you in the face for not finding it sooner. good natural is hard to find some times but it's usually worth the effort it takes to find it.

o yeah, nice pics too, rippin the 1100... i like it.

3. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I've spent easily 50+ hours of my life just driving looking for things. In 4 different states.

4. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Got more product than Ron Popeil Staff Member

Nice pics, and I have to admit I agree with Kevin, there aren't a lot of lines there, but it could hold me over quite a bit I think :). I've had to deal with worse.. much much worse (read Iowa). When are you gonna post some pics from this awesome natural you've found? :naughty:

For the most part I just benefit from other people's search for natural, though I've found a few places when I go ride by myself in the foothills.

5. WhiteRavenKS

i went off in moab this last year and looked for some stuff... i found a crazy place that will kill people. there is good trials all over moab but this spot i stumbled across is so good but seriously dangerous.

anyways, i dont know from looking at the pics but try to go from one end of the rock line you have ther to the other all on the rocks. the coos brothers did this "warming up" at worlds and i didnt see a single other rider able to link the rocks the way they did. trying to imagine the line of rocks as a section and go down the whole thing will make it a lot harder than hitting one or two at a time.

6. Cole

Cole New Member

Thanks. Its held me over for about 25 days of riding this school year already. :yum: That line goes for about 100 yds. I can only link up 5 or 6 rocks in a row before there is just too big of a gap or an unrideably jagged rock. I'll keep working on it though. Definitely a lot of moves you can work that are very technical (like you said).
    I'm going to get some good pictures soon of the new terrain. :drool: I already got some video footage. I'll send that in soon.

7. Faction Bike

Faction Bike New Member

yeah....when he finds something....he'll gladly take you there but you gotta listen to "depeche mode" (fooking spelling) the whole damn way.......I wanted to cry.

:eek3danc:

8. Faction Bike

Faction Bike New Member

Yo cole....just go to the quary.....it's fucking the sickliest natural I've seen.....well almost. Except for the crazy workers in the 400 foot tall haulers and the death holes between the van size boulders

......hey, is that the super monty in the background?

9. BiKe4EvEr

BiKe4EvEr New Member

what is depeche mode? can't wait to see the new spot
    here in california many of the rocks are soo small that you can't fit your big length on them (in the parks). i can't drive so i can't look for good natty :ugh2:

10. WhiteRavenKS

back in the day people rode their bikes and walked around to find stuff. dare to venture out of your safety zone and get a few miles out before turning back.

11. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

I think the hard part about finding natural is that you dont often look for lines you will get right away, if you are, then you are going about it wrong. Look for stuff that will take you many tries (or days of going back to the spot) try it different ways. Sometimes if I get a line I feel like I just did it because of muscle memory and having attempted it 12,000 times, I guess just switch it up and keep your riding as varied as the terrain itself.

12. Cole

Cole New Member

What's up Graham? :Wavey: That quarry is pretty sick, but that whole pile that had all of the huge rocks is gone. Jeremy Vanschoonhoven and I went in the front entrance and got kicked out pronto by that same crazy guy in the huge hauler :rant:. Then we climbed up the backside through a bunch of blackberry vines and made it in. There wasn't any more huge piles of big rocks, just some large piles on the edge of the back face of the quarry, ready to slide on top of you if you make a false move (Jeremy didn't make any).

13. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I should kill you for that.

14. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

keep your eye out for stuff right under your eyes. tonight i spent about half an our on some planks and a couple of rocks about 4" off the ground :bigthumb:

its called low risk high difficulty trials

15. ascentrek

ascentrek Original power yuppie

A personal Jesus

16. ascentrek

Glad you found some stuff. There should be some natty around Bend, OR. There's a big climbing spot there too.

Not to rub it in, but Kevin had mentioned something about practicing on local natural. I (fortunately) live in Colorado. Andrew says Natty is good for balance and practicing on regardless. So, I set out looking for some local (real local) natty to practice on.

After a minute and a half, I came across a culvert by my house that has rocks in concrete! Although they're relatively small, its enough for me to practice on and get balance as I meander through the gully.

I'll post pics when it STOP FOOKIN' SNOWING!

17. hophopsnap

hophopsnap New Member

hehe im so lucky, i have a waterfall on my pool so there is cool rocks around it, only bad thing is if i fall or mess up, me AND the bike are going for a swim :eek:

18. ascentrek

When I re-landscape my backyard, I'm hiring Kevin and Andrew to consult on how to position the boulders.

BTW, I was amazed at the lines I could do off my porch! I've got two flat boulders in my front yard I practice with.