how often do you ride?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by trialharder, Nov 17, 2015.

1. trialharder

trialharder Member

I'd just like to hear how often other riders ride their bikes. (Mainly to improve your riding skills)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  2. aaccjosh

aaccjosh Active Member

3 to 5 times per week (2 or 3 during week for an hour or so and 1 or both days during weekends, 1 - 3 hours each day)
    I'm a relative newbie (about 2 years trialsin) and I try not to think about it as training or practice, mostly just for fun. occasionally I'll have it in mind to go "bigger" or finally accomplish something I've been trying and focus helps but the pressure doesn't.

3. Blackstick

Blackstick Well-Known Member

Once every 6 months or so.

4. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Ideally at least twice a week. Beyond 3 times a week takes places of real life things. When I was 18-21 I rode 3 hours a day 6 days a week. I rode, I never "trained".

5. zulujack

zulujack New Member

I have a demanding, stressful job, crazy wife and 2 toddlers to look after. I ride at night after the kids have gone to bed and in a good week I'll get in 4 sessions of an hour plus. Managing the logistics and negotiation to do more than that is not worth the additional stress. I worry more about the quality of the time I spend on the bike than the length of the time. It does however put things in perspective when you ask young guys who clearly dream big how many hours they are putting in and it is never less than 20! If I had 20 spare hours I doubt my body would last beyond the first week!

6. THEDEMOLITIONMAN

THEDEMOLITIONMAN There can only be one DMAN

I hear you there Andy, during my college years, I road on average about 3-5 hours a day.I use to bring my rig to class and ride it during break and even during class.I went to Art School and most of classes were 3-6 hours long and I'd ride it during breaks..
    Those days have long past and now I ride maybe 10 hours M-Thurs and a huge amount on the weekends.

I miss those days, when I could just at anytime..lol

thedman

7. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

I try to have 1 real ride- 2-3 hours and then I try to get another hour or two in per week. Goals are like ass holes, they shit on your goals.

8. Swoofty

Swoofty Member

I'm in the same boat with zulujack; wife, kids, work; doesn't leave much time for riding. Best week now would total 7 hrs, but average is more like 3. I have a spare bike at work that i fool around with at lunch, but I don't really count that as riding. I'd heard the rumors that you can't ride every day after you're 40, but I don't get to test it out often enough to tell.

9. zulujack

zulujack New Member

Nah.... you just learn to push through the pain barrier. Worse things to worry about +40. I remember having hair down to my shoulders in my 20s..... Now I just have hair on my shoulders!

10. Monty99

Monty99 Super-Rockin-Mister-Magic

riding for 13 years, never kept track...

very very well said

11. RobbyBobby

RobbyBobby Active Member

Lately 5-10 hrs mostly on wknds. Obviously being in Canada i ride much more in the summer than i do now.

12. NateE

NateE wtflol

The weekends mostly. It's been raining here a lot.

But if the weather is nice out, typically have a ride of some sort a few times a week.

13. freeheeler

freeheeler New Member

I pretty much only ride during comps. I dick around in the garage or the driveway 20 minutes here and there when I get a chance, but that's only about once a week. My lack of skillz is in direct proportion to my lack of ride time ; (

On the other hand, I do get high score at all the comps and I'm usually the one having the most fun and crashing the most ; )

14. someone

someone New Member

Ride so much is ridiculous never get better but always have fun

15. Tonan

Tonan Tonan

It's always a balance, I am lucky enough to have a wife who loves to mountain bike. So the balance is just between trials and cross country. Add to all that the body just crested 50 (not the mind) and I can vouch for the no more than 3 days in a row then a day off. Trials 2-3 times/ week normally 1 hour so so for mid week and 2 hours if I have a weekend ride. Still improving but when your at my level its hard not to improve. The fitness feels great

16. trialharder

trialharder Member

some of you seem to have as much time as I have - not very much haha, it's really too bad, but better times will come

17. avatar4281

I ride 3-7 hours a week. I think I've improved pretty quickly considering how much I ride. I really push myself though and have had some pretty bad falls. Right now I have a jammed toe, bruised butt, I think a hairline fracture in my hand, my shin or knee is always scabbed, and my shoulder is recovering from a spill on my road bike.

18. Gareth

Gareth Member

About every second day during the week I go on a 1-2hour ride but not often on weekends as I do motocycle trials as well and that takes up most of my weekends. Although if I do have a spare weekend I will ride for most of the day.

19. aaccjosh

aaccjosh Active Member

Every extra moment and sometimes while I'm suppose to be doing something else... I took a break yesterday (no trials) and after work only did some chores, my feet and ankles feel much happier today and we had a long awesome ride after work . new bike fever ya know

trialharder likes this.
  20. wvtrials

wvtrials Member

If it is dry, no rain for a day or so, I ride pretty much every day for about 2-4 hours.

But I just got a DH bike a week or two ago so I’ve got “new bike fever ya know”

trialharder likes this.