How many of you STARTED on a mod?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by oicdn, Jan 24, 2004.

1. oicdn

oicdn Look at my member...

Lotsa people say starting on a mod is the best way to learn. I don't have one, but it MAY be a possibility in the future. But I was wondering on what everybody's perception is on starting on a mod and then transitioning over to a stock, or just staying stock.

Rate of individual learning aside, would you progress FASTER going the mod>stock route, or just staying stock and keeping to platform a cosistent geometry and feel?

Reason asking is, is there any SPECIFIC advantage to having a stock over a mod. I know there's lotsa preference involved here, but reality wise, is one any better than the other aside from parts breakage and actually being able to ride spot to spot on a stock? Like technique, or movements...for a example a ___ performs better for ____ , but a _____is better for ____.

Maybe I'm just wording this all wrong, and it's looking like a mod vs stock post.....but it's not....I'm talking more along the lines of skills and transitioning from one to the other and/or bike (stock or mod) purposes.

Reason I was asking is I've been watching ALOT of trials vids lately, and it seems like in the comp vids, there are alot of people using stocks on REALLY tight courses, where a mod might seem like a better choice if it's not a bike specific comp, but it more than likely is. And some vids, I seem people trying gaps on thier feet. Then they do it on a mod, then they do it on thier stock. Like some TRA vids, he has a stock laying on the ground next to that big gap he just did on his stock, it's like he tried it on his mod before actually attempting on his stock......

Any opinions?

LOL, prolly a more confusing post than anything eh? :nuts:

2. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

Although those mods really fly, genrally a stock bike will go higher and further than its 20" wheeled brothers. People say that mods are easyer than stocks because its specifically designed for trials, well what the hell do you think stock's are? also specifically designed for trials. The geometry of a stock to mod bikes are not only diminished, but in different ratio's.

All in all you cant really say that a mod is better the this specific move and stock is better for the other, they both suit different body's, riding styles, and terrain.

Practice on a mod makes you good at riding one. Practice on a stock make you good at riding one. Practice on the one helps make you good at riding the other. The level at which it helps depends completely on the persons body, riding style, and terrain.

I'll probably own a mod at somepoint, but not right now.

Watch AndyT's raw practice vid, some of the uper gnarly positions he tackles there seems better suited for a mod, but what does that really matter, he does them anyway on a stock because he ownes and rides stock. Nothing is as black & white as it first appears.

3. oicdn

Yeah, it never really thought of it that way "a mod is trials specific"...as that's a stocks sole purpose as well, LOL. Dunno why people say that really...

So does riding a mod really come down to body size? I mean, I can't really see style having that much of an effect other than the fact that you're more accustomed to one or the other. Terrain....yeah, I can see that, but like you said about Andy T, it comes down to what you ride more, so I dunno if that's really valid either....

I've seen some HUMONGOUS people on trails vids riding on mods, me being a noob, I have no idea who they are, but they seem at home on it. Which is what stiffles me....other than preferance, what is the purpose of having either when even the larger people seem at home on them. And same goes for some pretty small people on stocks...logically, you'de think they'd be on a stock purely for teh size, but it's not the case....

Is it the feeling that you're riding a "weapon of choice" when you ride mod? The parts for it are TRIALS SPECIFIC BUILT pieces, whereas some parts on stocks (DX32, pedals, rear deraileur...all obviously trivial) are more or less carry-overs from other sports.

I dunno, maybe I'm just analyzing too much, LOL. :ugh:

4. BiKe4EvEr

BiKe4EvEr New Member

i'd have to ditto what's said above by bloodhound. it is true that you would have a better chance of upping and gapping and wedging higher on a stock though, this is because of the longer wheelbase (although some stocks are short, those lend themselves to urban riding more i suppose). so ya, i wouldn't really say one is better than the other. and stock's are trials specific, that's why they're not called mtn bikes

5. oicdn

yeah, that's what I'm saying...they're BOTH trials-specific, but what is REALLY the reason (besides preference...preference can always be swayed) people ride one or the other? Some people ride both, but prefer one or the other for thier own reasons, but is there really any NEED for both other than personal preference?

I guess it's those segments in videos that raises this brow more than anything as to why they do it first on a mod, then on a stock...but choose to ride stock...it's like "WTF was the mod for if you only use it to "test" your gap for the stock, but you ride stock for everything? LOL, is it just the fact that they wanted to see if they could do it with both and I'm just over analyzing.........

Eh....

6. BiKe4EvEr

BiKe4EvEr New Member

it's all personal preferance if that's what your asking

7. AndyT

AndyT New Member

It just goes back to the olden days-

stock means normal/ from the factory... mod means modified. Back in the beginning there were no trials specific stock frames, they were just shitty GT avalanches and canondales. These were REAL stocks, and mod was what you would buy if you wanted a pure trials bike. Now adays "stock" just means 26" wheels and a couple gears, they are just big "mod"s in some sense. I started on a mod, went to stock for a long time, then back to mod, then quickly back to stock. Whichever one you want to do, start it up and stick with it. Going back and fourth does have its advantages, but staying with one type of riding the longest will make you the best at it that you can be.

8. durkie

durkie New Member

the "trials specific" stuff on a mod doesn't impart any advantage though. as far as i an tell it was just a headache - 19" rear rims/tires, front freewheel cranks, ridiculous rise stems, bashguards. trials was even smaller then than it was now. it seems like having replacement parts from different companies, even if crossover parts from other sports, would be worth more than being able to claim "trials specific", at least initially.

9. oicdn

Nice history Andrew...Intresting, didn't know that. And I think that durkie...LOL, now that you put it that way, it's advantageous to prolly have a stock eh?

Very intresting....

So preference is really the only answer here...maybe I was over analyzing.

As the way Andrew put it, a stock is pretty much, simply put, is a large mod. Specifically designed geometry(which I already knew) but what was the point of people actually MAKING the stock and deviating from a mod? I mean, there had to be a reason somebody wanting 26inch wheels/heavier bike, other than gears if a mod in most cases is lighter and more flickable. I would think it'd be alot easier to design a gear system for a mod than it would be to design a whole new frame. If somebody wanted the trials specific frame, but with 26in wheels there had to be an initial advantage somebody saw, or LOL, I'm over analyzing again......

Things are getting clearer, but it's nice learning the history and core elements of the sport, or maybe you could even say culture?

10. Elan

Elan steve french

i started on stock, and i stuck with it..i am happy for that too.

11. RobbieP

RobbieP OTN FOR A THOUSAND MORE YEARS I SAY

I started on a mod... as seen in certain photographs :eek:

12. oicdn

Intresting.....

13. Kartoffel

Kartoffel New Member

First bike I ever did trials-like stuff on: Schwinn 20" banana seater.

Next attempt: Hutch BMX for urban assault crap. Had low-ish gears, cam brakes, and a ghetto bashguard.

Various attempts at stock trials on XC mountain bikes, but nothing too serious... though I managed go to through one Kona Explosif per year for 3 years in the late 90's. They all broke at the same place and Kona always sent me a fresh one each time, till I decided to swap it for a Ku and quit doing big drops.

Finally, a REAL trials bike: Megamo mod bike, circa 1998. HS-22 brakes (BETTER than flimsy HS-33 crap), Monty FF cranks. Still has a 4 year old set of milk pads as I've just gotten back into riding it.

14. ty

ty shizzle dizzle

i started on a mod and am currently on one tho i am looking to give stock a shot, we will see how that works out for me.............

15. oicdn

When somebody decides to go the other route, is it just for the sake of shakin things up a bit? I know the reason I opted for stock is cause of gears and being able to ride from place to place, not JUST riding trials.

16. valiumlaw

valiumlaw New Member

When i started out i had an Onza trials specific mod, and a stock with a dual-slalom, non-trials-specific type frame (hardcore DSVD 5.0), but trials gears, components etc.. what i found was that i learnt almost all of the basic trials stuff on my stock, i believe this was because it felt alot more comfortable, and stable as it had 26inch wheels instead of 20inch, even though my mod was trials specific, and my stock had a dual slalom frame i learnt everything on the stock first, then did it on my mod afterwards, like learning to pedal kick, and pedal up etc.., the only advantage i found with my mod was that it was easy for things like 180 bunnyhops, static 360's and general backhopping, but the wheel size i felt really held me back, gapping with 20inch wheels was annoyingly harder than bigger 26inch wheels, and i found that i could easily up and gap further on stock than mod.

In general i learnt alot faster and more efficiently on my stock rather than my mod because of the bigger wheel size making it more stable, i could also switch between gears to find one that suits. If i was to chose between mod and stock it would definitely be stock, the larger wheel size makes it more stable, easier to gap further and up higher, only disadvantage was that my stock weighed in more than my mod, and was less 'flickable' , for trials id definitely chose stock over mod.

hope that made some kind of sense...

17. oicdn

Most definitly. It's actually the type of responses I was looking for. Intresting how the trials specific frame actually held you back, but other people say it's what they learned on and are now pretty damn good. but I'm thinking maybe thier previous bike wasn't as versetile as your Slalom frame was, which is why maybe they thought the mod actually helped when itfact, it was just "easier" and not really helping. But on the flipside, somebody could be saying the same for a stock, that they couldn't flick it around, and the mod helped them learn how to flick it around, so a mod is better......yet, a mod is MEANT to be on the rear wheel, so you would THINK it would be more stable than your Slalom as it's not geometricly designed to hop around on the rear wheel....quite an anomaly if you ask me, LOL.

Different aspects of the bikes vs. different builds of trials specific or not affect your learning curve that much? Learning is the venue I'm trying to key in on here. How or why do the bikes help out one person, but hold back others like yourself......LOL, analytic psychology is getting the best of me....

18. slctrials.com

slctrials.com New Member

I haven't read what people have said...come to think of it I didn't even read what you wrote, other than the subject, but hers my two cents (keep in mind that I am an idiot) Mods suck.