Hooks

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by BrettM, Jan 3, 2004.

1. BrettM

BrettM New Member

K so I just watched that BT Video 2.

All these hooks to rear or rubber are starting to kill me. Always by koxx riders. Aside from the skill part of it. Do I need a bike with a 1065 or greater wheelbase to do this? I've sort of felt out the move a bit and it just doesn't seem like it would work with my geometry. Basically most people will laugh at it as they like the long bikes but my wheelbase sits at aboots 1030. I also have a 75 degree head tube angle and a 12.8 inch bb height.

For anyone who has a pretty good knowledge of the hooks. What sort of geometry would be ideal? I sort of meant for my geometry to be same as above but with aboots a 1060 wheelbase, but thats another story. If I gave my bike to one of these euro koxx dudes would they be able to hook it? It doesnt feel or look anything close to right.

thanks

2. Elan

Elan steve french

andrewt has been getting really close to doing some hooks on his woodman, which if i remember correctly has a 1040 wb... other than that, hooks are beyond me.

3. Allmjm

Allmjm New Member

umm the woodman has a 1070 wheel base...

4. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

a lot of it is the rider- i bet the euro amaz-mo riders could hook with your bike, maybe not as well right away but they could.

i think your problems stem from your head angle and bb height. a high bb will make hooks easier as it gives you much more needed clearence for the move. yours isnt far off but a little higher would certainly help. your head tube angle though is doing nothing good for hooks unfortunately. the koxx bikes and many uci style frames are going with 71-72 deg HTA so a 75 is super steep. when the angle is slackers it is not only lengthening the wheelbase but it is creating a much more hook freidnly set up. with the fork slacked out it will flex ans spring you up more effectively.

the wheelbase doesnt play as big a role as the HTA and bb height for hooks. i could never hook with my px but i never really tried. now on a different bike i have been able to get a much better grasp of the move and actually get a few nice hooks (sort of fluke accidents though, still no where near consistant yet)

5. Elan

Elan steve french

im sure that the woodman has a 1040 wb

6. Elan

Elan steve french

ok, just looked at the website, and it says 1070..i was sure i remember it coming out to 1040..oh well..

as kevin says, teh bb height makes the most difference...

7. Fast Fashion

Fast Fashion Youth in Asia?

you don't need a long bike, but it sure as hell makes it a lot easier. a high BB makes life easier as well. It's mostly rider still, but the right equipment never hurts.

8. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I can't do it without scraping pedals...my bb is about 3" from the ground. Wait for my coos to come in along with my dv camera and I'll try to get slow mo and stuff up.

edit:

and the most important part is SPEEEEEEED. The faster you go, the better. You should be able to do a near full speed bunny hop into ~5 foot wall, keep trying it over and over and hopefully once you will feel it (just like all moves). I say b-hop b/c of your short bike, the longer the bike and the more speed you have the scarier bunnyhopping becomes (but you know that... a little mishap in island style :) )

9. AndyT

AndyT New Member

OH- and one more thing to add... If you are left foot forward (as I am), hit it at the angle so that your right side is closer to the wall...and the other way around, if you are right side forward, hit it so that your left foot is closer- not straight on. Straight on is guaranteed pedal hitting, you need as much clearance as possible. This is the same idea as if you are putting your front wheel up on top of something, then pausing and goign to rear...its all clearance.

10. alexm

alexm New Member

andrew, i have been gettign into hooks lately, only ever pulled one to two wheels once and that wall had a very slight angle to it so it was cheating. i am too scared to bunnyhop so i use a full pedal rotation however i have tried angling my bike to get the most clearance possible but my front wheel seems to get pulled to the left (im left foot forward) and sort of collapses towards the fork leg instead of the tyre keeping in contact with the wall the whole time. this angle thing doesnt seem to help me.

any tips or should i jsut wait for your cous and DV camera?

Alex

11. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I use a 4 pedal, so like 2 whole pedals (start with good foot- rotate to bad, then to good, then up with bad and land with good), this is the maximum speed I can get in my gear- so I'm pedaling as hard as possible. The last time I tried this (rear tire was going flat) my front end went about 2 feet under the top of the wall and I almost died, this is not a move I can try on any day (as I'm usually hung over, however that is changing...) and you have to be 100% or you may hurt yourself.

as per your inquery... Do you mean your bars come closer to your left side or closer to your right side? I think I know what you mean, and it just might be a matter of keeping your upper body VERY stiff so as to not let it move around...but you shouldn't have to do this if you hit it correctly. Its really hard to help people online, especially in forum style...I only have AIM but my name is frontline48 if you want to try to get me, I'm on at wierd hours so they may coincide with yours. Ask any more q's I'll try to help.

12. alexm

alexm New Member

bars twist to the left, but i guess its just a matter of practicing. although even when i do manage to kepp the bars in control, i get shot up in a weird and uncontrolled way, i guess that means more practice, ive dloaded AIM and will install it later when i find out our admin password :slap:

ever thought of msn?

Alex

13. AndyT

AndyT New Member

hehe I dunno if someone tells me something that I can use AIM and MSN and all that shit at the same time...maybe I'll set up msn who knows.

14. Morryjg

Morryjg New Member

http://www.trillian.cc/
    It will manage AIM, MSN, YAHOO, ICQ & IRC with one program. I've been using it for a little over a year and it works really well! :bigthumb:
    -Jack

15. PaulG

PaulG Releasing the Kitties

yes def trillian it owns and no wierd adds or anything