H33s on the front?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Im2kool4skule, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Im2kool4skule

Im2kool4skule New Member

is having magura h33s on the front a good choice?

2. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Got more product than Ron Popeil Staff Member

Yes and no.

I would prefer an hs33 to a V brake because I think they modulate better and feel better. I would prefer a disc to an hs33 however, because they'll modulate even better, they're usually silent, and they work well in adverse conditions.

3. Sethbomb

Sethbomb New Member

If you haven't already bought one, I'd just go with a V, it's cheaper, lighter, EASIER TO FIX, works great........Maggies are fine up front but not worth the money - Seth.

4. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

I bought mine before I knew better ,they suck just like my rear 33's.

5. bigd

bigd I Have a

i think they're a bit overkill, discs perform great up front. with as much as most people take their front wheels on and off the bike, an hs-33 seems like it'd be a bit of a pain to deal with. i'd have a V up there before an hs-33, and a disc way before a V.

6. Im2kool4skule

Im2kool4skule New Member

the bike i got came with magura h33s.

7. pav

pav New Member

i have had dual HS33 and wen u get it set up right it is sweet, on my new bike i am getting 4 bolt forks and it will be even better, i recomend running monty milk pads on the front they work really well, magura red pads are not bad though

pav

8. Allmjm

Allmjm New Member

good story.
    Just kidding, by the way where are you from in Ohio? My friend and I are from around Cleveland. There's some really nice rocks on the Lake. Let me know if you want to ride sometime.
    Martin

9. Little Android Man

Little Android Man Free Cup!

so would a hayes mechanical disk work better than say, an LX paralell push V brake?

10. Elan

Elan steve french

probably..but an avid i know would work better..i havent heard too much concerning hayes or shimano mechs....

11. Little Android Man

i wish i had an avid, but im gonna save up for a juicy. Im just taking pieces from another bike and its got Hayes mech's then i have a set of paralell push brakes. Is modulation or locking more important for a front brake?

12. ty

ty shizzle dizzle

the hayes mech work quite well, with avid ultimate levers and xtr cables the feel as good as avids and work nearly as well

13. BiKe4EvEr

BiKe4EvEr New Member

both, are needed for diferent styles of riding. i would say that idealy you need good modulation with good stopping/locking power, but if it had to come down to it: natural-locking power (although front wheel gaps would be harder) street-modulation (if you're into the nose manuals, hooks etc.) however a good front brake that can lock is VERY important to have for both. and the mod. is defo something to want

14. AndyT

AndyT New Member

imo front wheel gaps ( and ups) should be done to a stop, meaning not rolling.

last part of that makes no sense.

15. Little Android Man

so what would be a good pad for the hayes? ive got kool stop red's right now and they work alright but i havent ridden much trials on them..

16. Kartoffel

Kartoffel New Member

Maguras on the front are just fine, especially if you got your Mags as a set. Otherwise, save some bucks and get V brakes.

Honestly, I'd recommend staying far far away from disk brakes on a trials bike. The brake rotor is liable to get smashed on something.

17. Kartoffel

Kartoffel New Member

Agree on the Monty milk pads. They're good stuff.

18. AndyT

AndyT New Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

(definetely do not listen to the above).

19. Elan

Elan steve french

ive never seen anybody smash a rotor.. it can happen, but so can cancer

20. Kartoffel

Kartoffel New Member

Look man, I'm not attacking anyone who happens to have disk brakes.

As someone who used to ride BMX, doing side ups to peg/pedal is second nature. Disk rotors would last me about 5 mintues of good urban thrashing. The rotor is a good friction surface, but it ain't gonna support my weight or handle grinding very well.

Furthermore, there's a huge rash of forks and frames that seem to have broken right at the disk brake mounts. You run disk brakes, you're putting extra stress on parts of the bike that may not be able to handle it. Give it a few years and more manufacturers will be making beefed up brake mounts, though. :D