Grinding

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Little Android Man, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Little Android Man

Little Android Man Free Cup!

Hello all..
    Ive got a Mammoth rim and I was wondering how many people use/have used one with a grind. How long would it last under however deep a grind? And how often did or do you grind it?

2. Sonic

Sonic Plaid, I have not gone.

Ive had it since April '03 with two grinds on it. Since the last grind I gave in and starting using tar, I havent had to grind it again since.

Good cheap strong rim, just pinches too much.

3. Hardline

Hardline New Member

Why is everyone so against tar? I have been riding a very short time but seem to be doing ok with it. Am I missing something?

4. Sonic

Well, a local rider once told me he doesnt like how it's messy...weak complaint to me. The other thing I was told by a pretty experienced rider is that it can be inconsistent. Ive never experienced any inconsistency, at least nothing past how your coat wears down, but as far as a sudden unexpected slip, not here.

5. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Got more product than Ron Popeil Staff Member

I had a mammoth and ground it. I think the grinds really lasted me about 3 weeks, but that all depends on how much you're riding really (at the time I was probably riding 4-5 days a week). That was with a pretty deep grind, lets just say about "3/4". It was a cheap rim and held up well for me, but it was definitely too narrow... Rear-wheeling on slanted objects was a major PITA due to tire folding.

Hardline, it may seem snobby to be against tar, but it's because when you use tar your brakes stop working when you get in the wet. If you only ride urban when it's nice out and don't ride comps, I don't think there are any problems with tar so long as you use it properly. It's a good temporary solution until you can figure out a way to get your brakes working better, but I wouldn't use it for tooo long :).

Bill

6. Little Android Man

I used tar on an old shitty rim, and it makes a mess, if you dont clean it your rim is pretty screwed, and in wet it slips.

anyway..back to the topic...Sonic-how deep did you grind the rim?

anyone else?

7. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Next time I grind my rim I'll make a video of it- seriously so many people have no clue how to do it. PPL ask me it all the time on AIM, look for it sometime soon.

8. Little Android Man

Andrew-thatd be cool. I had my uncle do it for me today (hes a mechanic and all...had the tools..) and it was just a light grind..I just wanted to know how long my rim would last if I ground it.

9. AndyT

AndyT New Member

OK look for it whenever the poo i grind my rims.

10. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Got more product than Ron Popeil Staff Member

Funny you mention that Andrew, I was planning on filming it next time I ground my rim... now that Dave's camera is functional :). Film it anyhow though cause it's going to be a while before I need another grind.

11. Sonic

Deep, deep, grooves, grind definitely lasts me longer than 3 weeks.

And the only reason I really resorted to tar is because my HS33 lever is having some problems internally, so I cant set it up to be as powerful as it should, so it's like Bill said only use it when your brakes really arent working the way they should.

Andrew, do it, equal Tart's CK vids. :cool:

12. Elan

Elan steve french

i grind my rims, although i do not think that i have the right technique, my brakes dont work as well as they should when i pit the grind on, maybe i need new pads.

13. pav

pav New Member

the main reason i stopped using tar was becuase my pads would not unlock and it really was not fun during drops!

just grind, it is damn well worth it!

pav

14. Allmjm

Allmjm New Member

:rolleyes:

15. streetnutter

streetnutter New Member

If your pads wouldnt un lock, its sounds like you painted it on, I just get a small bit and rub it round me rim til you can see a bit of blak on your rims.

It only takes 5 mins be fore every two rides.

Also that grind vid would be helpful cos i wana grind so i dnt have no brakes in the wet but i dnt wana reck me rim walls before i do it wrong?

Cheers Mat

16. Kartoffel

Kartoffel New Member

Absolutely right. Tar must be applied properly if you expect it to work. As for tar turning to oil in the wet.... you guys must be using some weird tar.

Besides the mess (and apparently, the lost art of tar-application), the major downside to tar is EXTREME LOUDNESS.

17. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

tar should go on like a wide pencil line, all the way around the rim. no more.

and i dont ride in the wet, so i dont mind. it sucks though, if i ride through wet grass, i have to let my brakes dry, otherwise its just like i oiled my rims... :(

18. silus2000

silus2000 New Member

Well...Hans Rey uses tar on his trials bike. :?

19. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

hahahahaha :rofl:

20. streetnutter

streetnutter New Member

In aid of this post I have just ground my rims, and to tell you the truth it was piss easy. A lot easier than i thought and the breaking after I did it seemed pretty good ( Although i did only ride around the garden and hopped about). One good thing is its not quite as loud as tar but that will be found out later when I go for a ride. If you are worried about ruining your rim try it on an old one first but I found it very easy to do and it only took 5 minutes.

Bill