First Street Trials Bike Suggestion for 26"

Discussion in 'Beginner's Area' started by typedeaf, Nov 16, 2017.

1. typedeaf

typedeaf New Member

I did read the FAQ. In USA/Texas, finding ANY new 26" street trials is near impossible. I have been stalking NWTrials, TrialsSuperstore, BikeTrialsDirect, and WebCyclery websites stock to no avail.

In the meanwhile, I have been researching the crap out of bike geometry and looking a DJ bikes that might meet the bill, since you can actually get used DJ bikes relatively easily. Since I am 6'4", I want the biggest bike possible w/o being too much of a beast to maneuver. Here are my options, as I see them since no one in the US sells the Inspired Hex in the last 6 months, and no one in the US carries any other street trials bikes other than SAW on PinkBike..which seems sketchy.

Norco Manifesto - Good: 1054 WB, Reynolds steel, MTB parts compatible. Bad: Likely to have negative BB rise when fitted with a rigid. 395mm CS is getting a bit long. Probably heavy.

Giant STP
    - Good: 1079 WB, newer alloy with reinforced shape is lighter, MTB parts compatible. Bad: Likely negative BB rise with rigid. 391 CS is getting a bit long.

Planet X Jack Flash - Good: 1051 WB. 0 BB rise with rigid. MTB parts compatible. Bad: CS is long @ 16". Designed more for DJ. Probably very heavy. Company out of business.

Transition BLT - Good: 378 CS. 1053 WB. Modern reformed tubing. MTB parts compatible. Bad: Probably negative BB rise with a rigid. Designed for track riding.

Deity StreetSweeper - Good: 365 CS. +5mm BB rise (with sus fork.) MTB compatible parts. Bad: WB is a bit shorter at 1041mm. Very little info about this frame.

Because Street - Good: Geo is 100% street trials. Bad: Sold from China on PinkBike. Have heard some bad things about the delivery. Unknown quality. I think they are out of business and selling off the last of warehouse stock.

So, of those 6 bikes, which I can actually get my hands on, which would you recommend given the following added information.

1. This is my first Trials/Street Trials bike and I will likely crash the hell out of it for a year+.
    2. I am 6'4", so all these selected bikes have relatively long wheelbases for that reason.
    3. Most of what I do on this bike will be learning trials basics. What I desire is riding street akin to the way Lenosky, Chase, Leech and Akrigg used to.
    4. I am 41, so its unlikely that I will ever get very good. lol.

2. Ross W.

Ross W. Active Member

If you can wait a little more I would recommend holding out for the new Inspired Hex or Czar Neuron 26" bike. Either of those will be significantly better options (for trials) than what you've posted above. We're hoping to get the Neuron sometime in January and the new Hex should be available Jan/Feb from Inspired. 26" street trials bikes are always harder to find (and we tend to stock less of them) since there is far less demand for them than 24" bikes. But at your height, you fit the profile of who I would usually recommend a 26" bike to.

3. aaccjosh

aaccjosh Active Member

just because you're here in the US don't rule out tarty. I swear it'll arrive before most other places (except possibly NWtrials) even get it shipped out. plus the exchange rate still isn't great for them so better prices than most too

2nd don't rule out 24s, for pure trials bikes or street, the pure bikes are almost as long as their 26" counter parts. and on street bikes most are 24s (so surely that suits the role better?)and I've a friend who's also 6'4" who rides an Arcade stock out of the box stem and all. (plus the arcades are available again in the less expensive builds!)

3rd why not a pure bike? you want solid trials skills My Opinion is use a Trials bike (you can get a complete echo for the price of the Onyx hubs on my mtb!) and when you can trials apply it to a bike that is more all around or streety.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    Motoscoot likes this.
  4. typedeaf

typedeaf New Member

Thanks for the input. I did test ride a 24" Sunday Model C. No idea what the geometry is, but the BB definitely has rise. Standing up, pedaling around the showroom floor, it felt pretty decent. From 17 to 20-something, I rode a 24" BMX Cruiser and it was definitely not over a 21" TT...but the seat tube was long, old school style. I miss that bike.

I almost bought the Arcade, but I was curious what the eTT was because I didn't want to be banging my knees when leisurely pedaling around the street seated. I never found out, and the bike sold. The Ozonys King of Dunce has a 1045mm WB. If I can find one of those, I would probably get it.

I don't want pure trials because I actually want a street bike that I can pedal around the neighborhood on. A seatless, pure trials bike just doesn't appeal to me. I like to ride along side my GF's little daughter around the neighborhood and I don't like going on my MTB. I like to just pedal around the area looking for places to challenge myself, and a full trials just doesn't work well for that.

5. Motoscoot

Motoscoot New Member

I have an old Planet X zebdi (slightly different than the jackflash but I can't remember how) that I setup for the same purpose. Higher than pure gearing and fun as hell to ride in the city. I agree with Josh however, that a pure trials bike will help your "trials" progress a little easier than a street bike will. I did the Granite comp here in Colo. with it and it was hell with the high gearing and low BB rise. Totally different discipline and bike setup.

6. typedeaf

typedeaf New Member

Ideally I would get the Zebdi and not the Jack Flash, but I cant find a Zebdi. The Jack Flash has a significantly longer CS and lower BB. But the BB is neutral with a rigid fork, and the CS is 16".. which I am not sure qualifies for short, but its not long.

How do you like the Zebdi, in general? Is the frame solid? Is it heavy compared to modern frames?

7. Motoscoot

Motoscoot New Member

I've never been much of a rider who cares about weight. I'm of the heavier bike = better workout thought. The zebdi frame is like 4.9 lbs if I remember correctly. It feels solid to me but I only weight around 140lbs and I'm not doing 10 foot drop gaps. There were some people that gave it a bad rap on the UK site back in the day due to frames snapping at the BB. I highly doubt I'll be able to do that unless I take a uncontrolled landing or a direct stike under weight. Much of frames breaking have to do with the rider and the situation.

8. typedeaf

typedeaf New Member

Okay, I am considering 24" bikes, as long as they have near the same reach. That being said, it looks like the Arcade has the same reach as the Hex, and the Arcade is much easier to get. Someone was selling a used one for an amazing price just a week ago, but I hesitated too long and it sold. :(((((

9. Swoofty

Swoofty Member

The new Czar 26 has the best numbers of any 26 street bike so far. On paper, it looks perfect. I'd put all my eggs in that basket if you can wait. The Arcade is a great bike too and is an absolute blast to just ride around AND it was designed by a guy who is 6'2. Still, I'd wait for the Czar 26, no one knows what the next Hex will be, but it'll be too $$$ for sure.

Don't get a Zebdi. Unless you're really jonesin for old school.

Motoscoot likes this.
  10. typedeaf

typedeaf New Member

Which is the new Czar? You mean the Echo/Czar Neuron 26? 378CS/1020WB/+25BB. Why is that perfect?

I might just blindly buy the Arcade from Tardy.

11. aaccjosh

aaccjosh Active Member

do it! I'm currently out (sitting the shade!) on ride 7/day 11 with my new arcade, and loving the bike.

Motoscoot likes this.
  12. Swoofty

Swoofty Member

It's the little things that make the Czar 26 perfect. It has a 74.5 headangle, tapered steerer and a real 15mm thru axle, not the fake thru axle on the arcade.

The new Hex was anounced today as well, but I haven't seen numbers or a price on it yet. Ali Clarkson's Youtube has the review up.

13. ot26pi

ot26pi New Member

I have an old Schwinn stock 26' that is one of a number of frames built for riders like Jeff Lenosky. I think the sizing might be along the lines of what you are looking for. I can provide some pics if this would be of interest

14. typedeaf

typedeaf New Member

Yeah sure. Sounds interesting.

15. ot26pi

ot26pi New Member

ok just posted pics to marketplace forum as schwinn stock 26'