Downtube Guard?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by jonus, Aug 12, 2007.

1. jonus

jonus New Member

Does anyone know what companies makes this? I'm looking for the wrap around ones. Also where can you get them from (preferably in the UK)?

2. chronic

chronic Dungeonmaster's Guide

Seriously dude, just go to home depot or some hard ware store, I would say 2" pipe would be good. Buy a 2foot chunk of black abs pipe. And tell them to cut a strip down the middle.

Then just debur the edges with some sandpaper and you have your down tube protector. You can try cutting the thing in half your self. But, good luck, it has a tendency to squeeze your saw as you get further through. Its kind of a pain. tell the home depot people to do it, and its their problem hah.

I dont use one, but I've made them for my friends and they like them.

3. Graham@MBT

Graham@MBT New Member

Last edited: Aug 12, 2007
  4. Sir_Crackien

Sir_Crackien some call me mongo

:ugh: he said ABS not a steel pipe. ABS and PVC are both fairly prone to cracking. there are alot of materials that you can use to make a downtube guard. just get little creative. its not hard to do at all. i have seen people use alum. diamond plate

5. Graham@MBT

Graham@MBT New Member

Phew. Relieved to know that I just can't read.

6. trial_dude

trial_dude New Member

ARMOURDILLO.

used mine for 1,5 years +,wondering what my frame would have looked like if i hadn't used this al the time...

i think Trialsman sold/sell them ?

7. johnglazer

johnglazer New Member

music_maj made one out of PVC pipe, looks pretty cool too. He drilled 1/4"ish holes in it and spraypainted it black. He can probably post pics or give some pointers on how he made his.

But yeah, 2" PVC cut in half is probably the easiest and cheapest way to go.

8. jonus

jonus New Member

Thanks for the quick replies. I was specifically looking for the armourdillo (thanks trials dude). I ordered one from from trialsman.

9. Giant1118

Giant1118 DanB

way cooler to just hit the downtube

1 person likes this.
  10. BEagle

BEagle New Member

Hey, don't waste your time... I simply use a piece of an old tire and it works (and it's free and you make happy Greenpeace guys because you recycle)...

11. music_maj_34

music_maj_34 New Member

Thanks John...I'm at work at the moment and the pics that I posted of my guard a while back are not showing up anymore. I can post some new pics if you like, but I it looks just like the picture that trauma100 posted in this link -

http://www.observedtrials.net/vb/showthread.php?t=18237

12. stickyworm

stickyworm New Member

Toxsin makes a neoprene down tube guard. Here's the uk store that sells them: www.trialfutur.net

13. Gaz

Gaz New Member

14. desvio2000

desvio2000 New Member

its what i use its paper lite and will stop almost any dent