Dot Brake Fluid

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by BrettM, Jan 20, 2004.

1. BrettM

BrettM New Member

Ok so I got the new Avid Juicy Sevens for front and rear. I'll do some reviewing of those when I get the time. Both of them need the lines cut down and thus re-bled. I have the choice between two different numers of dot (I forget the numbers.) Would one be at all stiffer or thinner or better feeling or anything over the other?

If I were to guess it was 4.1 and 5 maybe? I've never delt with dot fluid before.

2. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I'd run the 4.1...

At least thats what me other DOT brakes liked.

I think.

Maybe it was dot 3, if there is such a thing...

ok I'm no help, sorry.

3. Pancho

Pancho New Member

I have no idea how those particuar brakes work, but with both Magura HS33s and Hayes discs (the two hydraulic systems I have experience with) just because you cut the line doesn't necessarily mean you have to re-bleed. If done carefully you can just cut them and re-attach them. You can also catch the fluid in the line that you cut, and drop a little bit into the caliper if needed to keep air bubbles to a minimum. Then again I am the worst mechanic in Colorado, and I always have brake problems, so just ignore me...

4. AndyT

AndyT New Member

aaaaaahhahha pancho

Maybe thats why your brakes never worked. :)

5. BrettM

BrettM New Member

Thats what I figured Pancho. My Louise and Martas were like that. I read some paper it came with on cutting them and it says they have to be re-bled tho. So I guess a bike store may get to touch my bike. I'm not impressed...

6. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

Bleeding is so easy... If you have the tools of course. Doesn't avid sell a bleed kit?
    And the manual should state which fluid to use. If you have a choice between 4.1 and 5 choose 5 because it is more heat resistant.

7. thetart20

thetart20 TartyBikes

But more prone to ingress of water... and youre never gonna get heat in trials.

4 gets my vote, thats what I usually use :Wavey:

8. oicdn

oicdn Look at my member...

Dot 3 exists..LOL, it's what most of today's cars use. I hope you're not putting DOT4 or 5 in your cars brake system, LOL. Brake fluid doesn't mix too well....

9. BrettM

BrettM New Member

I can't use dot 3. Only dot 4 or 5.1. Just wondering if there would be a different feel between 4 and 5.1.

10. thetart20

thetart20 TartyBikes

None whatsoever.

11. Sethbomb

Sethbomb New Member

I don't know about the euro fluid 5.1 (I've heard it's different than normal DOT5) , but DOT5 has silicon in it, and as far as vehicles go IT CAN NOT MIX! Your system takes DOT4 or DOT5, not either one.
    I don't know the "Juicy" system, but typically a system takes one or the other NOT EITHER. I do know that DOT 5 is nice to work with cause it doesn't eat paint like DOT4 does, but it's supposed to not be compatible with DOT 4 seals..............

12. Fast Fashion

Fast Fashion Youth in Asia?

i run DOT 4. you are a dumbass.

13. Elan

Elan steve french

jeeze... who cares? put the shit in your brake and ride it.. blah

14. Pancho

Pancho New Member

Hey, I'm team mechanic, sooo yea... take that...

15. BrettM

BrettM New Member

Im getting tired of saying this but my brake says I can use either 5.1 or 4. So for the couple people who keep telling me I can't well I can.

Apparently theres no diff in feel tho. So my question is answered and thanks.

16. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

you can use either 4 OR 5.1 just never ever both at the same time. if you ever were to switch, flush out the system really really well.

17. Elan

Elan steve french

like an enema

18. ty

ty shizzle dizzle

hahahahaahah
    good work elan

19. Kartoffel

Kartoffel New Member

Do not use DOT brake fluid in Magura rim brakes. It will ruin them.

Plain mineral oil only.

20. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

this is about avid juicy brakes not pooguras