Chain length...

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by trialspads, Feb 13, 2004.

1. trialspads

trialspads TrialsPads.com

Since I only use the three middle rings in the back, what would be the appropriate chain length with a derailleur? I've seen a lot trials bike that have their chain pretty short where the end of the derailleur is stretched forward...

2. oicdn

oicdn Look at my member...

Just grab your chain on the tallest gear you use and pull it to the length where you think would work....then take out the links accordingly....

Heh, I need to take some of my own advice...my chain feels a little slack and slaps my frame alot and I don't really use all my gears either, just 4-7....

3. trialspads

trialspads TrialsPads.com

Yeah it's slapping pretty bad on mine & sometimes the chains come out from the front so I figured the problem can be overcome by shortening it.

4. bigd

bigd I Have a

theres a cool trick if you use a derailleur to help keep your chain tight.

take the der off, remove the clip that holds the b-spring bits in the main pivot and pull out those guts. get a couple washers roughly 3/16in or so, cant remember exactly.. that just barely fit over the main bolt, and just over the outer diameter of the main pivot shell (where the b spring used to be). tighten it down and viola! no more bouncing mech! leave some clearance from the frame and it will hold the chain much tighter. it will still shift over a small area because the parallels still move freely. (mine hits 5 gears pretty well) if you use a few different gears for different things. this works best if your chain is almost as tight as it can be on the largest of your gears.