bmx sized bike with disc brakes

Discussion in 'Beginner's Area' started by mx_599, Jan 13, 2006.

1. mx_599

mx_599 Fountain Hills, AZ

i am reposting this here because i already have a feeling i am not welcome in the advanced forum

okay..i turned to you trials guys for help, please don't disappoint me like the teenagers on the bmx forums. i will try to keep this to the point.

i want a bmx sized bike just to play around on...i do not plan on racing. however, i absolutely want disc brakes...just because i want them.

one member alreadly kindly led me to some trials forks for 20" rims with brake tabs. i was hoping something like that existed because they sure don't in the bmx world.

the rear is another issue. i am considering the brake therapy adapter...any opinions on this product please share.

i started to look at the trials frames at webcyclery. i like them and i am not opposed to learning about trials. i have always like motorcycle trials. i will be the first to admit i am not committed to trials though. therefore, the frames with no seats were not attractive at this time.

1)do many trials guys use bmx frames anyways? or are there trials frames that have a seat/post and brake tabs in the rear?

2) are there frames out there for trials or bmx that have brake tabs in the rear? or not really?

okay...i think you guys know what i am after. i hope you can help a fellow cyclist and not flame me.

summary: bmx bike with disc brakes...how best to achieve this?

(other online stores like webcyclery, links, etc)

thanks everyone...let me know if you have any follow up questions

2. Ross

Ross New Member

I believe the old megamos have a seatpost and a rear disc tab.

3. mx_599

any type of link? i will try to google it...thanks!

4. carnagr

carnagr New Member

BMX's and mods are not even similar. That's like saying a stock is the same as a downhill rig. So if you want a BMX, don't buy a mod frame just so that you can have discs.

5. guumer

guumer donny

if you want disks get them welded on bmx's ar steel

6. BrettB

BrettB noob framebuilder

not to try to steer you away form your goal,but as far as having brakes taht perform well,the 990's on my bmx outperform any disc i have used to date....just something to think about i guess

7. mx_599

okay...see i am just learning. thanks! but could i have a bmx frame and a mod fork?? would that be so bad??

also...what is meant by mod??

8. mx_599

okay...nice avatar!!!

9. carnagr

carnagr New Member

A mod is a trials bike with 20" wheels. The geo would be pretty terrible for street, and they're not built as strong as BMXs, since they're not meant for that kind of abuse.

10. jane_cruiser

jane_cruiser New Member

Buy a new 20" (trials) "mod" fork (gu, echo, koxx) $100-200

Buy a new diatech/formula (cheapest) 20mm disc hub. (for 48 spokes) $40-60

Hire a machinist to make you a 20mm steel (recommended) thru-axle and have it hollowed and helicoiled. Thread in a couple of 10mm (or 3/8) lug bolts and don't forget to trim off hte excess "bulb" off the hub to 100-103mm. $40-65

Buy a good 160mm disc brake and rotor (they're together) and you're good to go. $60-200

You could get it all done for under $200 if your good.

It worked for me. :)

11. jeph

jeph New Member

um.. a mod fork is going to be way longer than a 20" BMX fork. If it is so important to you you can order disc tabs from any shop that has the QBP book and take them to your local machine shop and have them welded on. It should only be like $3 per tab and $40 for the welding. Plus trials geometry sucks for anything over 8 MPH.

12. rcl1111

rcl1111 New Member

20" rims with disc brakes on ebay i just listed so look under old school bmx

13. rcl1111

rcl1111 New Member

if you are looking for a pair of 20" rims with disc brakes i posted a pair on ebay listed under old school bmx

14. Ali C

Ali C "bmxer"

only 5 years too late :p

15. NateE

NateE wtflol

You can get tabs welded onto BMX forks:

http://www.observedtrials.net/vb/showthread.php?t=42659

If you want a streety bmx with disc tabs, it will be far cheaper and safer to just get the tabs welded on. The guy in that thread has been riding that fork for a couple years without problem. Guy does some GNARLY stuff too, so that fork has been put through its paces..

16. eaterofdog

eaterofdog Two dollars... cash

What's this guys deal?

17. Holy shit!!! Guumer looks exactly the same as 5 years ago!

18. Ramrod

Ramrod My body is ready.

:rofl:

19. Definit1

Definit1 New Member

Hi, help me with this subject too please. Shit, every bike store I've been to said the same frustrating thing about the disc. Mount this, mount that. Why can't they make a clamp for the frame to be adjusted for the damm thing. The fucking point is, I don't want to fuck up my painted, gonna be scratched up soon by my brake pads to get rusty and I'll need to fucking buy a new ones bitch. (what I wish I said)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  20. Definit1

Definit1 New Member

Don't they have like a thrid arm you can clamp on to the frame to mount for the brakes? I'm sure there's alternatives for mounting. I just don't wanna be a rocket scientist about it and start welding shit on to make it stiff and strong. Things gets loose anyways. Ask her about it. % P

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013