Big rotor in the front?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by AndyT, Nov 18, 2003.

1. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I noticed on Kevin's bike (from the group ride pictures) that he has a sizeable front disc rotor...its seems larger than 160, is it 190?? Do you find this gives you a lot more power when doing moves?? Is it worth it?

Thanks doods!

2. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

i was running a 203mm rotor. it was an 8th hayes rotor i had laying around. it was one of the only straight rotors i had left. it was a test to see if this project i had in mind was worth pursuing. some time in the future you may see it turn up.

the big ass rotor is nice because it gives you about another 25% mechanical power in your brake. if you dont think you need it then i dont recomend it but if you are looking for more give it a shot. try a 7 inch rotor though, either 185-190mm rotor depending on the brand of brake. keep in mind it is heavier though and not by a little bit, rotors are made of heavy steel, the bigger rotors weigh a fair bit more than the 6 inchers. it's a trade off, weight for performance.

3. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Thanks alot for the quick reply!! I'm still riding my trek 6700 for trials, I recently moved to greely colorado so maybe I can ride with you some time! What category do you compete in? I've never competed but from the pictures you look pretty damn awesome. I think ill try a bigger rotor, i have a front avid mechanical.

I can't wait till I get a real trials bike!

4. Elan

Elan steve french

ill sell you a real trials bike

5. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Sounds good elan- but I've already bought all the parts!! Well, most of them. I am missing simply the frame, and I think I'm going to buy a woodman- I really like black bikes so I'm going to go with it.

6. Faction Bike

Faction Bike New Member

greely you say. Come ride with us in Fort Collins some time. Call me. 970-443-2944.

Graham

7. unlearn

unlearn Member

hey graham...i thought we had somethin'

hey...fear/love guy...

stay away from my man!!!

jus kiddin' dude!!!...i'm not REALLY gay!

8. BrettM

BrettM New Member

If you think about it a bigger rotor really makes sense. A 160 rotor is made for xc. Don't try to tell me trials braking is anywhere close to xc braking forces.

As for the weights do a bit of research. The stock avid rotor is actually fairly light compared to others. It weighs less than the old magura marta rotor, but not the new one. I went to 185 rotors and only added 20 or so grams I believe. Also as much as a bigger rotor helps, look at pads too. I got 185 rotor and red pads. The brake can't slip and it is heaps better than any 160 setup I ever tried. I didn't think a 160 setup was bad even until I tried 185. There is a huge diff.

9. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I have avid mechanicals, if I wanted to go to 185mm in the front what kind of adaptor would I need and where would I get it from? Is there anywhere local in colorado that would sell them to me?? How about on the internet?

Thanks for your help guys!

10. BrettM

BrettM New Member

A bike shop must have em somewhere. Its just a bigger adaptor and a couple of those washer looking pieces that are just a little bit thicker. You would think someone would have some just sitting around at a shop.

11. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I went ahead and ordered one from the road 34 bike shop up in fort collins, the shop was a little hard to find but fort collins is nice... I'll let you know how it feels!! Thanks for the help once again.