Ass to side of tire move- what I've learned...

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by AndyT, Dec 14, 2003.

1. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Just anyone who is interested....a move I've been trying (if i had a trials bike :p ) recently.

Important things:

-It's VERY hard to do on your own, meaning without the aid of an object..but you can do it, just super exaggerate your bike motion if you were to just do a static hop up into the air- try to bring it to one side.

-It is preferable to put your ass to your good foot side. This is a problem for me in terms of sidehops- you are SUPPOSED to sidehop to your bad side, I've never done this....I go to my left, and its very hard to sidehop to your left and put your butt to your left of the tire. If you put your butt to your bad side, you don't have as much clearance and your rear leg has to compress a TON, more than I can do with control.

- I said with the aid of an object before... I know lots of you like japslapping or tap upping or wtfever you want to call it....but I never see people trying this move from different angles- always straight forward. Start hitting the object at a 45 deg angle- see how it throws your bike differently. You will get different results from where you hit the object. ANYWAYS.... If you are doing the ass side of tire move (can we get a real name here?) it will be 1000x easier if you hit your front in a manner where it will shoot your bike to your side of preference. Big changes can be made with just a few degrees difference than straight on...play with it.

- On a sidehop it is essential to land your front wheel first, not early on- but at the very apex of your jump (hell this move shouldn't be used for stuff h-bar height). Use your front wheel to pull your rear up and keep your body to the opposite side you are upping (so if you are sidehopping to the right, leave your ass to the left as your front hits). This is a seriously hard move and I haven't gotten it on a full one parrallel side hop- it is INSANELY hard to land, your balance will be so crazy in this position you aren't used to it at all. which brings me ot my next point..

-to see which side you prefer, which should be your good foot side, just try this on the ground. You'll see what I mean by it being hard as fuck to balance. Just think you are trying to get your ass parrallel with your chainstay. And some douche on bt.com says that you don't need to be flexible in trials....yeah ok mr. sport rider, stfu and go back to powerlifting so you can be big an oafy when you try to actually ride. Bench pressing 400 lbs is super key in trials :rolleyes:

-when you are practicing the position on the ground- pay attention to where your legs are, they may be close the top tube/brake booster. When you are doing this move in a jap, you will be going FAST, you will hit hard and your bike will move, and most likely hit anything close to it. Take it from me and the holes/bruises on my shin- mostly fromt he threshy bash.

That was a long post, :bigthumb: to anyone who actually read it all. Once I get my camera I'll be putting up how to vids along with posts...i can't figure out how to implement with with front hook to rear, but I'll keep trying.

2. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

Would be interesting to see this on video. So how does that Woodman bike (that you don't have) rides? Also have you gained much height when doing this move? Or are you learning on things that you can do regularly?

3. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I've been doing the move mostly on things over 6" above the h-bar. I am not satisfied with the woodman, but it has its perks...mainly being wedges- I can sit in a wedge and not move for as long as I need to. However the woodman seriously hurts on high speed moves, when the ground isn't flat...that low bb makes it hard to get the front wheel up- i find myself trying harder to get the front wheel up to the right spot than I am trying to get up the damn thing. Its very frustrating- but I would have no problems dominating with it in expert. Pro may be a different story.

Its kind of a rule for me, that once I can do something regularly, I won't bother with riding it again. Always push yourself, on everything, it gets you better faster.

Also- I've been doing some super slow weight lifting for a month, along with my own plyo routine...I've never ridden as smooth or as powerful as I am now- it really helps.

4. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

Couldn't you just use a longer fork or bigger diameter front tire to offset the BB drop. But then I guess it would make some moves like putting a front wheel on something more difficult.

If you don't ride places where you can ride well, then I guess you guys have a ton of stuff to ride as I pretty much rode most of the interesting places on campus. Plus i seem to be in a progression cycle where I can't get the same height on some moves if I don't ride for a while.

Well back to exam studying... :ugh:

5. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Example of the woodman gayness:

[​IMG]

(purple for gay)

And my pic of my metal ruler with the flash didn't come out to well....my BB is exactly 11 1/4" off the ground with my current fork. WOW THATS AWESOME....koxx was like 13-14"

6. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

Isn't that rear triangle flexy? Seeing how it is alum I wouldn't be surprised if it cracked after a year or so of riding. I am just to collect as much info as possible about longish frames that take V mounts. Hmm on second thought it seems that they make HS33 mounts only (at least according to the website).

I think that on bikes tha have a KOXX like geometry it might be a good idea to place the brakes underneath the seat stays so that the booster/brakes would be out of the way. Curtis or Lesson had that on their bikes. Except they had the brakes on the seat stays.

7. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Well...on the coustellier and koxx the seat tube is a lot shorter, so the brakes are more out of the way.

If you've seen me ride you wouldn't be asking if the frame was going to break :)

and curtis and leeson are gay for trials.

8. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

Well from a physics point of view any alum frame will break given that it gets ridden. Metal fatigue happens and is unavoidable. Its just a question how a rider stresses the frame and how long it will take him to break it. Given enough time that is :)

9. Haukaas

Haukaas New Member

It is an intruiging idea, in bmx i throw the bike up to a peg stall and hang off to the side, I have thought about it for trials, but I'm not quick enough, vincent and the coustelliers do it all the time I've noticed.

10. Faction Bike

Faction Bike New Member

This move also helps for wedges. Well at least the part about shifting your ass to one side for additional clearance.

Hey, isn't that my carpet in that pic?.......

11. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

I've seen DH rigs with steeper head angles.

12. Simonk

Simonk New Member

maybe that prototype giant wasn't so useless after all?

13. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

anyone tried this move on a mod? you could probably get your ass so low it hits the wall you sidehopped

14. thetart20

thetart20 TartyBikes

Check out Benito's world record sidehop (over a bar) for an idea of how effectively it can be done on a mod ;)

15. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

i had it as an avtar a while back

[​IMG]

small but you can kinda see

16. BALLA

BALLA New Member

Andy what is the key to landing front tire first. When d you transfer your weight? Once you have jumped to your maximum height?

17. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

heh, i see

i actually have that vid but didnt notice the ass move. too fast, its hard to see how low he gets the ass even with the full sized video. how high was that sidehop?

18. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

yeah i have tryd this. side ass move on a mod.. i did it tonight on a side hop. but seeing how small a koxx mod frame is you dont really need to learn this move on a mod... :)