A few techy questions.

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Little Android Man, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Little Android Man

Little Android Man Free Cup!

I had a few questions about some parts and stuff that dont really matter but are somewhat intriguing to me..
    Why dont trials riders use titanium frames? I know nothing about them but arent they light/stiff and whatnot?
    How many people actually change gears while riding trials? Unles you ride to the place I havent noticed many people switching gears, so why not single speed on a stock bike?
    Would a Rohloff speed hub thing be good for trials? Minus weight maybe..?
    How do you distinguish a UCI from a BUI frame? I havent looked anything up on that, only thing I know is one uses bashguard and the other doesnt..and whats wrong with using a bashguard?
    How come people dont use the Knifen forks? Ive read alot about flex and all and then Ive read about that being a very stiff fork..why not use it?

Thats all I can think of now, thanks for any answers.

2. oicdn

oicdn Look at my member...

That's the joy, versatility, although you're right...I never see anybody switch gears either, LOL.

I've heard that people are breaking those....well, the knifens lights...I think people stay away from the regular knifens cause they're kinda heavy compared to the other forks...

3. BiKe4EvEr

BiKe4EvEr New Member

alright heres the dealio-
    1-titanium frames are good, but wayyyyy to expensive. if you have the cash, people think they're great (you'd be looking at a few K for just frame/fork)
    2-only stock bikes have gears. the reason people use them is so that they can compete. if you have a singlespeed stock bike it is not allowed in competition. don't ask why
    3-rohloff isn't that great for trials. it would skip (miss an engagemnet point) and when that happens you eat crap :greddy2: CK is the way to go
    4-BIU frames are generally shorter in length than UCI frames. a couple brands like Koxx, Coustellier, and some echo's possibly are more UCI stylee than monty and such. UCI frames still have bashes, but it's against the rules to use them. there isn't anything wrong with using a bashring, except for that there is more of a challenge in order to go over an obstacle with out one.
    5-kniffen forks are not flexy. they are very still like you said. unfortunately, they weigh a metric ass load, it's as simple as that

4. Tanner

Tanner New Member

Yeah, and there are not a lot of Titanium trials frames just because the cost and the expertise to make a titanium frame

5. Elan

Elan steve french

and teh fact that when you dent your titanium, you are done riding it..

6. Little Android Man

why? i dont know anything about titanium, but isnt it supposed to be stronger than aluminum and all that? so wouldnt a dent be less of a worry? or is it like carbon? that raises another question...do people use carbon bars/other components for trials?

7. Tanner

Tanner New Member

carbon bars, carbon seats, carbon levers, carbon blah blah blah.

8. Elan

Elan steve french

well, teh fact that my penis has more tensile strength than Ti might have somthing to do with it...

9. AndyT

AndyT New Member

More to the point answers-

TI is for faggots, ie roadies and xc homoflamebots.

No one switches gears except for a few wierdos who go heavier for urban.

Rohloff hub not only costs as much as a whole trials frame, it weighs 480 pounds and no one cares.

Easiest way to distinguish UCI vs BIU is look at the drivetrain.

Nothing is wrong with using a bashguard.

The knifen forks are 3+ pounds, and look like shit.

Some people use flex for a reason.

10. Elan

Elan steve french

oh, sorry, teh tensile is good,

11. Little Android Man

what about just a frame only? is the geometry different? or would it be harder to go to bash on a UCI frame then on a BIU?

12. BiKe4EvEr

BiKe4EvEr New Member

no it's not harder to go to bash on a uci frame then a biu, it's just that a uci is generally longer, as stated in my first post. yes, obviously the geometry is different. go to www.trials-online.com beccause they have people that will be more than willing to answer your questions. this is more of a advanced/fancy pants riders forum so you'll get abrupt answers

13. Little Android Man

nah this is good. i was just wondering about stuff theres no real importance to any of this. thanks

14. AndyT

AndyT New Member

But be ware 80% of the answers you will get on those forums are completely wrong.

In terms of frame only-

generally longer top tube. This helps you have a longer wheelbase, which gives advantages in hooking around rocks and putting your front wheel up on higher objects.

generally higher bottom bracket (for more clearance, hitting your pedals and bashring are points in UCI).

traditional UCI frames - KOXX, all koxx copy's done by echo/zoo , coustellier

traditional BIU frames- Planet X zebdi, Monty's, mostly every bike available before the 2002 koxx revolution lead by the coustellier's fathers GENIUS.

15. Gardenfan

Gardenfan New Member

Who broke all these knifenlights that you refer too? I wish to know becuase I am considering getting one for my next fork, and do not wish to go on heresay. Too much of that crap on the forums.

Biu=1040 and under wheelbase, 15.5 inch or slightly longer stays, sometimes steeper headtubes.

UCI=1040+ wheelbase, 15" stays, 71 degree headtubes.

Somewhat of a generalization but whatever.

BIU frames:
    Zebdi
    Echo ES4's and such
    Megamo
    Monty
    etc

UCI frames:
    KOXX
    Echo Pure's
    Zoo's
    Coustellier
    etc.

16. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Many BIU frames have very short chainstays, do not say that they have 15.5 +...my crescent had some of the shortest chainstays I've been on, it was one short mother fucker.

And you are also wrong on the megamo's- they were a key UCI player before the cous's dad came along and revolutionized it...in fact there were little distinctions between the two series of frames until he made the new changes- the only difference was that UCI riders would run smaller bash rings.....Guess who the coustelliers rode for before koxx?...

I would be SERIOUSLY suprized if lots of knifens were breaking, in fact I simply don't believe it- I don't even believe the superlights being broken often...they are the second heaviest fork (second to the knifen, counting megamo/koxx/zoo/echo/brisa/surly forks in my statement) and look just as shit as the first ones. The only concern you may have is the disc tab, but they seem to hold strong so far....

17. Tanner

Tanner New Member

if knifens are breaking you bought a mislabeled GT cromo fork

18. Elan

Elan steve french

im a fan of zoo forks.
    using a bashguard is just gay IMO. it looks soooooooo much better when riders never touch anything but the rubbers... and i dont even try and do a move if i cant do it to rubbers, and nobody i have ever ridden with has ever really done any of that crap. whats wrong with using bashguard? nothing, its just sooo 200?

19. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

I second that, you would never catch me on the bash. A bash isnt really inportant to me, its very rare something would happen to hit it if you didnt want it to, aprt from teh tire slipping on an up that is.
    In an urban enviroment uping to bash can be very usefull, but still I dont do it.

20. Elan

Elan steve french

well, having a bash is handy for fuckups, but other than that, i like to pretend it doesnt exist..