A few questions..

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Little Android Man, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Little Android Man

Little Android Man Free Cup!

It has come to the point in my life where I am looking for a few more advanced moves to add to my growing...library if you will. Unfortunately I havent the slightest clue how to do what I am trying so please help..
    On larger obstacles (over a foot or two high) it seems many riders put the front tire onto the object then do like a high powered pedal hop to get the rear end up. When I try I cant get the rear tire up high enough to get on top of whatever..like im just rolling forward..how do you throw yourself up like that?
    Also, how exactly do you go from bash guard to rear tire? I can somewhat get to both tires, but how do you keep the front end up?

Thanks for helping out..

2. Elan

Elan steve french

fuck bash..forget it..?

3. Little Android Man

i can only j-hop or whatever so high..and it seems like it may come in handy to know how to do that

4. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

going from bash to rear is the same as lunging to rear when your front wheel is on the object. only diference is going from bash up sucks because it's harder.

anyways, its all explosive muscle power. get crouched over your bars and then throw the bike straight up. if you try to go up and forward it wont work as well, you are more likely to hit your rear on the face of whatever you are trying to get up. if you pull straight up though your body will sort of automatically move the bike forward a little bit and put the rear tire where it needs to be. it will help you if you angle your bike a little bit (if you are right foot forward, point the front wheel to the right on the wall, left foot forward- point to the left). by doing this you are taking out some of the distance you have to heave the bike. i've seen guys to this lunge to rear at around bar height... normal humans though- thats a different story. work on it with something around 1-2 feet tall to get the feel for the move, then start moving up. hope this sort of helps- i will try to get video of the move tomorrow for you if it will help.

5. ben@slctrials.com

ben@slctrials.com New Member

listen to Kevin, he knows what he;s talking about. i think, at least.

yeah with the bash to rear wheel, try to concentrate on hopping up not forward. but practice is still the key.

6. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

haha, i may know what i am doing (sometimes i hope) but it's hard to explain it when im not right there to give pointers and its even harder to explain with just words. if i get a good shot of how to do the move tomorrow i will send it to matt if he can host it- cotrials.com is currently in the shite-house, i hate the design and it was going no where, maybe i can pay pancho to redo it for me... hint hint!

when you get better at the lunge move try different stuff. go switch foot-switch angle. i can get up stuff to two wheels higher switch mode than i can with my good foot forward. also think about your brakes, specifically the rear. you need the front pretty much all the time if the wall has a flat top surface but consider the fact that sometimes you dont need your rear until you actually hit the object in the end of the lunge.

7. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

the lunge to rear, thats something i learned only this summer. when i started doing them, i didnt have the slightest clue how to throw the whole bike up the object, and i blamed it on me being too weak. just keep practicing the move, and the technique will come to you. thats how it was for me anyways. i am fairly weak haha, but timing the move and shifting your body around will counteract this. and yes, push your arms up and forward as hard as you can. when i do it i also release my brakes. i dont kick, i just let go off my brakes. ive done this move from very skinny things, and with my wheels barely hanging onto the objects, so the brakes being off dont affect the move for me i guess.
    also i think it helps to visualize that you dont have to move your body as forward as you think, because you will naturally try to just get your body over the obstacke, and in some cases, for me anyways, doing this just makes me drop my front wheel.

8. Little Android Man

i tried this a few times today and i think i might have some of it down..i figured out that if i just get over the bars then throw the bike straight up but dont move myself i can go up some things, but i topple over on taller obstacles. should i try jumping up with the bike to try to get more over the front end? would it also be easier to do like a pedal hop type thing to give it some more forward momentum?

9. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

with this move i learned how to do it by kinda half cheating a bit, it really helped. instead of putting my front wheel on the thing, getting balanced, then hopping up i would balance myself with the obstacle in front of me, then i would pedalkick and land with my front wheel on the obstacle and the rear wheel on the ground, but with most of my weight on the rear wheel, then while my body was still moving and my bike had *just* come to rest on the obstacle, do a quick big hop to get the rear wheel on the top of the obstacle. once i got that going well i lessened the speed of the pedalkick more and more until i started just doing a slow roll of the front wheel onto the obstacle before doing the wheelswitch. once that is done then you start doing the wheelswitch from stationary.

the quick pedalkick on before going for it really helped me learn this move.

10. skibumintrialsfreak

skibumintrialsfreak New Member

there's a quote from a pro rider, I don't remember exactly who but it basically says "throw yourself and bring your bike with you" I have found that this has helped me to get to some larger moves.

11. Tanner

Tanner New Member

JJ gregorwicz (god, that name sucks) said that

12. ascentrek

ascentrek Original power yuppie

I was schooled on this move by Kevin a week ago. Believe me, he's right. I sat there and worked out the moves with Kevin watching. One thing Kevin may have forgotten to mention (that he told me), is to keep your elbos pointed out. You'll have more pulling power by doing so.

I'm in the same boat move wise, but after a short lesson from Kevin, I was on to bigger moves.

Taylor

13. AndyT

AndyT New Member

dunno how I missed this topic....but some things that I don't think have been said:

Use your front wheel as a spring...if you are doing this up a skinny ledge, like 6" wide lets say, position your front wheel hanging over the far side of the object. As long as you don't run goony 80 psi you will get a hook effect and the rebound will pull you up and forward. Also this will put your bars lower. Likewise, if you ride on rocks, look behind you for anything (can be 2" big pebble) Put your rear on that and you can get double the effect for the rebound, and it will shoot you up even more.

The only limit to how high you can go on this move is your bike. I cannot get much over h-bar height with a woodman, on my old 1100 koxx that was a different story...